It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:51 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Label placement instruction
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:01 pm 
Sparks Level

I am going to prepare an instruction for the electrical contractor to put the labels on equipments. I think that we should identify the panel with label, clean the surface and wear the proper PPE before doing that. Also we should suggest Electrician to take the picture of what they have done. Are there any inputs that you can contribute? Really appreciate it.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:05 pm 
Sparks Level

You may also want to pay attention to the latest requirements of NEC 210.5(C).
If I understand it correctly, you now have to identify the phase conductors within a panel within a premises with more than one nominal voltage system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:28 am 
Sparks Level

It is very important, thanks! I am also looking for more input if anyone would like to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:09 pm 
Sparks Level

On new equipment there often exists generic warning labels installed by the manufacturer, about general electrical hazard. These seem to be well located, often near the supply side of the gear, on some door that is unlikely to be removed and replaced, such as cable lug or main breaker section. We have used that as guide to install arc flash warning labels on MCC's and switchgear; beside the manufacturer's warnings. In some cases this puts the label near the floor, but that is better than on an accessible panel that is more likely to disappear. On a distribution panel, anything would seem to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:55 am 
Plasma Level

Gary B wrote:
On new equipment there often exists generic warning labels installed by the manufacturer, about general electrical hazard. These seem to be well located, often near the supply side of the gear, on some door that is unlikely to be removed and replaced, such as cable lug or main breaker section. We have used that as guide to install arc flash warning labels on MCC's and switchgear; beside the manufacturer's warnings. In some cases this puts the label near the floor, but that is better than on an accessible panel that is more likely to disappear. On a distribution panel, anything would seem to work.

Good advice Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:52 pm 
Sparks Level

I would suggest that you create an "Arc Flash & Shock Warning Label Schedule," that would be part of your Electrical Safety Program.

This document contains the specification for you simple Standard label that would comply with Article 110.16 in the US and Rule 2-306 in Canada.

Also included in this document would be an orthographic block diagram of SWGR and an MCC, and you indicate where you want the labels applied and the height you want them applied.

I have seen quite a few sites with more than 10 MCC Buildings/Electrical Swithc Houses and the labels are all in different locations because a Labeling Schedule was not provided to the EPCM (to make sure the detailed labels are all the same) and the contractor who installed the labels.

As well this Labeling Schedule would be used everytime you expand your Plant, etc...

It is a specification for Arc Flash & Shock Warning labels.

These are the tools that you need within your Electrical Safety Program for due diligence and to ensure consistent application of the electrical safe work practices it outlines.

Regards;
Terry Becker, P.Eng.
http://www.esps.ca