It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:28 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Labelling Requirements when using the PPE Task Table
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:04 am 
Arc Level

Art 130.3(C) says that labels have to be installed that indicate PPE level or IE. 130.7(9) says we can still use the PPE Task Table 130.7(C)(9) to determine HRC.

If a company decides to follow the Table method of HRC, and does a 'mini' analysis to determine that all the parameters regarding fault current and clearing time are within the footnote limits - what then do you put on the label?

You did not calculate the individual IE, and the PPE is based upon the task being done. So what does the label say?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:27 am 
Sparks Level

"Use xx cal/cm^2 PPE at yy" working distance", with cal/cm^2 based on the HRC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 am 
Arc Level

yeh, I thought that also, but its task specific.

On a 480V MCC to check voltage is level 2*, to operate the starter doors open is level 1, to insert a bucket is level 4.

It would seem to me the only correct way to do it is to say "See Table 130.7(c)(9), and if you want you could at @18" or 36" depending on voltage.

You are not going to reference just one HRC value when it is task specific and any of the five may apply. And you certainly can't fit the whole table category on one small label.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:49 am 
Sparks Level

The goal of that field label is to readily know what PPE is required to protect oneself. Referencing a table in a standard is probably not specific enough.

You could probably post the highest HRC for the tasks which can be done on that equipment according to the table (excluding tasks for which you have a written and followed policy of "don't work live", so it's not always HRC 4).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:43 pm 

Labeling

For using the Tabular Method, we have developed a label which includes the following information:
Electrical Apparatus Type
Flash Boundary
Voltage
Corresponding Tasks & Hazard Risk Category

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:36 pm 
Arc Level

It doesn't make sense. The code specifically grants me the option of following the Table. The table lists different HRC levels for different tasks. I certainly don't want to cite the 'highest'. Do you really recommend putting electricians in Level 4 suits so they can check voltage on a fuse clip in a MCC bucket?

Does anyone have a sample of the label they use when following the task matrix. Do you list every task for that category.

I can't find any guidance in the handbook on this. It would seem an obvious contradiction and I am surprised it was not explained in the code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:38 pm 
Arc Level

John,
are you saying your label actually lists all the task options in the table, or do you condense it into something simple. Can you list the options for say a MCC and a Panelboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:04 pm 

Example of a label

I've attached an example of a label. (I hope it attached)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:49 pm 
Arc Level

thanks john, at least that makes sense to me. You list every HRC for all anticipated tasks. I wonder if NFPA fully contemplated the result of the requirement to post PPE on people using the tables. If they did, they didn't outline a good course of action. I think it would have been better to just say, "HRC as per Table 130 C9" on the label isntead of listing eveery task.

It seems that the NFPA is trying to force everyone into a full analysis. That is going to be one tough financial nut for American business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:16 am 

How do you get default FPB

John,

I like your implementation of the Table label. We typically do IEEE for all main distribution (MV and LV adjustable devices and direct feeds) and Table for the rest (i.e. all the devices within the limited clearing times and currents). However, using the table method, how do you provide the FPB which you indicated as 48" in your sample label?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:24 pm 

Default FPD

Article 130.3 (A) 1

You can use a default boundary of 48" when certain conditions are met: 50 V to 600 V and a clearing time of 2 cycles and the available bolted fault current of 50kA .......(plus some more info)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:27 pm 
Arc Level

The code said you had to list either the PPE Level or the IE. Didn't say anything about the AFB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:35 pm 

Information on Lables

You are correct - that is the minimum amount of information your label should have.

The labels shown goes beyond the minimum information required.