It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:17 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Generic Labels for Single Phase
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:40 am 

Is it a common practice (or acceptable) to put generic lables on 480 Volt single phase load (5kW or less)? Also would apply to 120/240 volt panels.

Using SKM for the AF studies and just am not sure that using the three phase is the correct thing to do with these loads. I

Make a generic label - Category 0 with a 4' AF boundary? Or just not label at all?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:22 am 
Sparks Level

Personally, I would put a label on the equipment 120-480v single phase. You will find a lot of discussion on this subject if you do a search within this forum. I would model and post the AF value according to the company’s protocol. Some people use a 0 while others are using a HRC 1 to include a face shield that significantly reduces the possibility of a sever injury. Equipment type has a role also for me such as Panelboards, or machine electrical control enclosure. For me I consider the hazards such as area around the hazard, lighting condition, equipment duty, panel size, IE and in some cases I may increase the PPE to a higher level.

The 4 foot boundary sounds reasonable to me by default. Remember no label gives you the right to work energized. The label is only a guide based on the knowledge we have today to PPE usage if you do work hot.

Many companies are trying to get by with HRC 0 to eliminate the face shield. According, if you’re on contract or doing your own companies studies. A contract company will want to cover legal issues. While working (doing the study) within your company the severity of the issue is not so great. I do not use SKM but I would believe the same would apply to most software. I have heard that some software does come with a single phase fault I believe it is ArcPro or something like that. Incident energy or available fault current also would play a role in evaluating the HRC to the finite point.

The warning label for shock boundaries and PPE in all cases above 50v should be posted so your going to label anyways.

There is no standard that I am aware of. Create your policy, standards and company protocol and go with it until the authorty standard is updated. Training and the use of energized electrical work permits and the warning label satisfies you as complaint I would think.

Profile Send private message