It is currently Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:16 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: NFPA 2009 Arc Flash and Shock Hazard Analysis and labeling requirement
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:38 pm 

The 2009 NFPA 70E introduced new terms that relate to the electrical hazards, “Limited”, “Restricted”, and “Prohibited Approach Boundary” for shock protection. If you read page 25, these new terms “Limited”, “Restricted”, and “Prohibited Approach Boundary” , these are shock protection boundaries and are not related to Arc Flash or Incident Energy.

The standard, see page 24, also identifies the “Flash Protection Boundary” that must be established in order to protect employees from the arc-flash hazard.

These protection boundaries are identified by NFPA 70E, Section 110.8(B)(1), “Electrical Hazard Analysis.” This section along with Sections130.2 and 130.3 provide the requirements for performing the “Electrical Hazard Analysis” with emphasis on the “Shock Hazard Analysis” and the “Flash Hazard Analysis”.

Based on this, question??
1) Do we need to differentiate Arc Flash Hazard Analysis from Shock Hazard Analysis. The Shock Hazard Analysis applies to 50V or more and Arc Flash Analysis shall apply to >240Volts and servicedby >125 kVA transformer.
Example: A 240v panel feed by a less than 75 kVA transformer requires a Shock Hazard Analysis but not Arc Flash Analysis
A 120/208 MDP feed by a 125 kVA and larger requires both Shock Hazard Analysis and Arc Flash Hazard Analysis.

The SKM can print all the results of the arc flash and shock hazard analysis, but there is enough space in the label, if you include the line and load side arc flash boundary, PPE, Ei info in a switchgear or panelboard?

2) In that case, do you need a separate individual label for arc flash and shock hazard?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:52 pm 

Shock hazard information

I didn't see any replies to this, nor was it adressed anywhere else in the forum.

In my opinion, the shock hazard information creates clutter on the label. It's based only on voltage and a qualified person could make a judgement in the field regarding approach distances and which gloves to wear.

What's the opinion of arc flash enthusiasts on this board?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:28 am 
Sparks Level

I post the shock hazard and the arc flash hazard on the same 4" x 6" label. Not a problem with EasyPower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:14 pm 
Sparks Level

I agree with JJH. When I used Easy Power it fit right into the 4x6 format. With SKM it is also an easy fit onto the 4x6 label. In either case the label is not to cluttered looking, so why not include it just to help remove any doubt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:46 am 
Plasma Level

I also include both shock and arc flash boundaries on the labels. I use EasyPower and everything is neat and legible on the 4x6 label.

I guess the other point is that NFPA 70E is not solely dealing with arc flash but also other hazards of electricity. The title of the standard is "Electrical Safety in the Workplace."

I know that a qualified electrical worker should know the voltage and approach distances but I don't think it hurts to have the information readily available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:12 am 

[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]No clutter here on a 4x6 label, I use a Brady PowerMark lable maker and with design/font options it's easy.[/size][/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:03 pm 

ChevsMark wrote:
No clutter here on a 4x6 label, I use a Brady PowerMark lable maker and with design/font options it's easy.

Hi ChevsMark, Are you still making 4x6 Arc Flash labels with your powermark? Let me know if you need a faster way to print these. I may have a more cost effective solution for you.