It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:22 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Exceptions to labeling requirement?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:41 pm 

Hi,

I was in a discussion today about 70e, section 130.3 Arc Flash Hazard Analysis. I was told that if we use tables instead of the full analysis (Exception 2 of 130.3) then 130.3 (C) Equipment Labeling does not apply. I'm reading it as we can do EITHER the full analysis OR use the exception to use the tables (if they apply to the equipment) but that the labels called for in 130.3 (C) must be applied in either case. It does not seem right to me that we would have panels without the info needed to select PPE.

Thanks,

Ed

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:50 pm 
Sparks Level

The labelling requirements do not change if you use the tables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:59 pm 
Arc Level

Read the NEC 110.16.
While NFPA 70E is NOT law in OSHA, almost all States adopt the NEC for building codes. So 110.16 is probably part of your State law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:33 am 
Sparks Level

Do Analysis

Imagine the extended downtime involved if each electrician had to go consult NFPA 70E Table 130 prior to each job. Labeling equipment saves $$$ in the long run. I also recommend a detailed analysis as the tables tend to be very conservative. As for the NEC 110.16... labeling for arc flash hazards hasn't been around that long so some want to fall back and be "grandfathered". OSHA requires analysis and labeling which are not "grandfather-able" if that's a word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:24 am 

fangle1948 wrote:
Hi,

I was in a discussion today about 70e, section 130.3 Arc Flash Hazard Analysis. I was told that if we use tables instead of the full analysis (Exception 2 of 130.3) then 130.3 (C) Equipment Labeling does not apply. I'm reading it as we can do EITHER the full analysis OR use the exception to use the tables (if they apply to the equipment) but that the labels called for in 130.3 (C) must be applied in either case. It does not seem right to me that we would have panels without the info needed to select PPE.

Thanks,

Ed

You must work at the same place that I do! :D

I am in the same exact scenario as you are and I have the same opinion as you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:39 am 

The other side to the discussion called the NFPA to get clarification. The correct answer is as was suggested here - you can use the analysis OR the tables, but either way you must label. Exception 2 does not exclude labeling.

Thanks to all for the help!

Ed