It is currently Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:01 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Utility Workers in Arc Flash Event
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:11 am 
Plasma Level

Here is a link to a news report from July on some utility workers injured in Arc Flash incident.
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/19 ... er-shocked

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Utility Workers in Arc Flash Event
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:39 am 
Sparks Level

Thanks for sharing. This is what happens when technicians or operators don't wear correct PPE. Sadly many still have macho attitude claiming they have been working for the last many years and have never made mistake. When it happens, it comes so quick and without warning. I hope he survived & his company & or individual didn't get OSHA citation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:48 am 
Sparks Level

Namgay Tshering wrote:
Thanks for sharing. This is what happens when technicians or operators don't wear correct PPE. Sadly many still have macho attitude claiming they have been working for the last many years and have never made mistake. When it happens, it comes so quick and without warning. I hope he survived & his company & or individual didn't get OSHA citation.

Where did you see in the article that he wasn't wearing proper PPE? I didn't see anywhere enough detail to know what PPE the worker was using, or even what caused the arc flash to occur. We can make assumptions, but I didn't see any actual facts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:23 am 
Sparks Level

Voltrael wrote:
Namgay Tshering wrote:

Where did you see in the article that he wasn't wearing proper PPE? I didn't see anywhere enough detail to know what PPE the worker was using, or even what caused the arc flash to occur. We can make assumptions, but I didn't see any actual facts.

The article said:" 'We heard a boom and his skin was smoking,' one of the neighbors said.

As coworkers lowered him back down, witnesses said it was clear that burns were covering much of his back and body.

To avoid the risk of an arc flash, crews are supposed to wear special protective fabric. One neighbor told FOX 9 News the worker in the bucket kept repeating, 'I should have put it on. Why didn't I put it on?' "

That seems to imply that he was not wearing the proper PPE. But you are right in that it does not clearly state what he was wearing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:55 am 
Sparks Level

Larry Stutts wrote:
Voltrael wrote:
Namgay Tshering wrote:

The article said:" 'We heard a boom and his skin was smoking,' one of the neighbors said.

As coworkers lowered him back down, witnesses said it was clear that burns were covering much of his back and body.

To avoid the risk of an arc flash, crews are supposed to wear special protective fabric. One neighbor told FOX 9 News the worker in the bucket kept repeating, 'I should have put it on. Why didn't I put it on?' "

That seems to imply that he was not wearing the proper PPE. But you are right in that it does not clearly state what he was wearing.

I missed the quote when I read it. I would be curious to find out what the workers were wearing though, versus an estimate of the energy involved.