It is currently Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:31 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Utility Short Circuit Current - Jim Phillips Webinar
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:52 am 
Sparks Level

A few weeks ago I noticed that my friend Jim Phillips was to hold a webinar talking about utility short circuit current. I registered immediately to listen to Jim’s usual wise words on a topic which is seen by many as a great stumbling block when undertaking fault and arc flash studies. I was shocked but delighted for Jim to hear that the webinar is vastly oversubscribed and received the following message from the hosts who are EasyPower.

“Dear Mike, I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is that the Jim Phillips webinar you signed up to attend is WAY beyond the capacity that the GotoWebinar people can handle. The good news is that if you are one of the first 1,000 people to login tomorrow, you will be able to attend live. For those of you that aren't able to login, we will have the recording of the webinar on our website within 24 hours. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. We will make sure this doesn't happen again”.

From what I’ve heard, the Webinar is 3 times oversubscribed with nearly 3000 registrations. Jim and I used to think that speaking to an audience of 100 in UK and across Europe was a terrific result. At this rate, it’s going to be easier to get an audience with the Queen of England than it is to see Jim in future. I’m not sure how much the Queen knows about arc flash though. Joking aside, this is a measure of the high regard that Jim is held in by his peers. Well done Jim!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Utility Short Circuit Current - Jim Phillips Webinar
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:35 pm 
Plasma Level

Mike Frain wrote:
From what I’ve heard, the Webinar is 3 times oversubscribed with nearly 3000 registrations. Jim and I used to think that speaking to an audience of 100 in UK and across Europe was a terrific result. At this rate, it’s going to be easier to get an audience with the Queen of England than it is to see Jim in future. I’m not sure how much the Queen knows about arc flash though. Joking aside, this is a measure of the high regard that Jim is held in by his peers. Well done Jim!

Thank you for your kind words Mike. You and I go a long way back and it has been a privilege working with you on raising the awareness of the arc flash hazard in Europe. Hard to believe it was so many years ago that we began writing articles for the U.K and Europe and then Sharing the stage in London, with you, a member of the British HSE and a few of our friends and colleagues. It was a special honor to have you visit the United States to present our IEEE paper in 2012 discussing how Europe uses the risk assessment approach for arc flash studies. (which is now part of the 2015 NFPA 70E)

Registration for the webinar was quickly headed to 3000 and beyond well before the actual scheduled event was to take place. As a result they had to curtail things so many were not able to join.

For those of you that missed the May 21, 2015 Webinar, here is a link to view it in its entirety:

Webinar - Utility Short Circuit Current Data, Arc Flash Studies and Change

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:03 am 

Mike

In full agreement with you, fantastic work Jim

Hope maybe to catch up with you soon - when are you next in the UK?

BR

Chris

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:11 am 
Sparks Level

Hi Jim

Greetings from North of the border :)

Like others I was unable to attend the webinar on May 21st. However thank you so much for providing us a link to attend the session on our own. This is excellent Jim and I am very much looking forward to it.

Finally as we have discussed I am already starting plans to be at the session you are doing in November in Honolulu

All the best

Len Cicero

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:33 pm 
Plasma Level

Len,
Thanks for your comments. Glad you are able to watch the webinar now. I was stunned by the number of people trying to register for it and the huge number of those that were not able to.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the Arc Flash Studies Class in Hawaii November 16 and 17. See you there!

Info: Honolulu Arc Flash Studies Class

Best Wishes,
Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:14 pm 
Sparks Level

OK Jim good deal. Looking forward to the webinar

Hope all is good with you and the family!

See you in Hawaii!

All the best

Len