It is currently Wed May 25, 2022 5:53 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: It's Football Time...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:27 am 
Sparks Level

Ahhh...fall is in the air. Temperatures are cooling, high school football is underway and college football has begun. It doesn't get any better than this. My favorite time of the year.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:29 am 
Plasma Level

Absolutely! Another big year for my Alma Mater the Buckeyes. Big 10 should be no problem this year but post season is another matter (as my SEC friends like to remind me!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:24 am 
Plasma Level

brainfiller wrote:
Absolutely! Another big year for my Alma Mater the Buckeyes. Big 10 should be no problem this year but post season is another matter (as my SEC friends like to remind me!)

My favorite time of the year too, football, great weather, baseball playoffs (Go Twins!). Jim, what do you think about the new Big 10 divisions? Splitting up some big rivals with some history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:18 am 
Plasma Level

Zog wrote:
Jim, what do you think about the new Big 10 divisions? Splitting up some big rivals with some history.

The "Big 10" has 12 teams split into 2 - 6 team divisions.... Kind of embarassing to admit that is where my engineering degree came from which required a lot of "Big 10 (or 12)" math.

The OSU - Michigan game is everything in both Ohio and Michigan. Former coach John Cooper learned that the hard way. You can have a winning season but if you lose to Michigan, your career will be short lived.

One of Coach Tressel's first public comments after getting the top position in 2001 was something like "there are 310 days until the Michigan Game." He understood what the rivalry meant!

Woody would not spend the night in Michigan, would not buy gas there (I heard he almost ran out on a ride home once). He was coach when I was there. "3 yards and a cloud of dust"

It seems silly on the outside, but it is pretty serious if you are a Buckeye or Wolverine fan. The good news is most of us know it is just a football rivalry and it stops there. Lots of great people in Michigan.

The OSU division looks like the weaker of the two which will be unfortunate. If they have to make a repeat performance with Michigan and split the series, that will be quite a mess. :mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:20 pm 
Plasma Level

brainfiller wrote:
The "Big 10" has 12 teams split into 2 - 6 team divisions.... Kind of embarassing to admit that is where my engineering degree came from which required a lot of "Big 10 (or 12)" math.

The OSU - Michigan game is everything in both Ohio and Michigan. Former coach John Cooper learned that the hard way. You can have a winning season but if you lose to Michigan, your career will be short lived.

One of Coach Tressel's first public comments after getting the top position in 2001 was something like "there are 310 days until the Michigan Game." He understood what the rivalry meant!

Woody would not spend the night in Michigan, would not buy gas there (I heard he almost ran out on a ride home once). He was coach when I was there. "3 yards and a cloud of dust"

It seems silly on the outside, but it is pretty serious if you are a Buckeye or Wolverine fan. The good news is most of us know it is just a football rivalry and it stops there. Lots of great people in Michigan.

The OSU division looks like the weaker of the two which will be unfortunate. If they have to make a repeat performance with Michigan and split the series, that will be quite a mess. :mad:

I lived in Michan for many years, my wife and her family are all there are hard core big blue fans (Except her crazy uncle who is a MSU fan) so I knwo how big that game is. They both have a few radical fans that do stupid stuff.

Even though they are in different "divisions" now the NCAA said they will play each other every year. Same goes with Gophers/Badgers, Paul Bunyans Axe game wil still live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:52 am 
Sparks Level

Big 12, Big 8, Big 10, SEC,...... none of them can hold a candle to the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Hardrockers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:03 pm 
Plasma Level

cbauer wrote:
none of them can hold a candle to the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Hardrockers.

I'm impressed! :)
I am holding my breath through this weekend. OSU vs. Miami :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:34 am 
Sparks Level

You can exhale now Jim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:54 pm 
Plasma Level

Good, I was turning blue. :eek: It was a great game.

There are some amazing teams out there this year so we'll see how the season shapes up. Promising so far. I'm a fan of "JoePa" but Alabama's Crimson Tide just rolled right on past them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:37 pm 

SEC Rules!

Who knows - it might get down to Ohio and Alabama for the BCS Title!
The Tide just rolled over the Duke Blue Devils today 62-13; I'm hoping we do well against Arkansas next week (they looked pretty good against Georgia today).

Roll Tide!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:26 pm 
Plasma Level

Crimson Tide vs. Buckeyes.... that would be a fantastic BCS game.

SEC rules?

I humbly have to admit that all to often is the case :eek: . We'll see what the rest of the season brings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:34 pm 
Plasma Level

Terawatt wrote:
Who knows - it might get down to Ohio and Alabama for the BCS Title!!

Oh well... Congratulations Wisconsin Badger fans!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:53 am 
Sparks Level

Thanks Jim

I am a Badger alum. and fair weather fan. Saturday's outcome vs OSU was unexpected. Once in a lifetime?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:01 am 
Plasma Level

AB P.E. wrote:
I am a Badger alum. and fair weather fan. Saturday's outcome vs OSU was unexpected. Once in a lifetime?

I was pretty sure Ohio State was over rated at No. 1 and thought Wisconsin could pull it off but I was stunned at just how well they pulled it off. The Badgers were obviously well prepared and very hungry for a victory. They did a very good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:37 am 
Plasma Level

Amazing how the end of the season never quite resembles the beginning of the season. Looks like it's Ohio State against the SEC... ...again! Hopefully with different results (sorry Arkansas friends). Lot's of good games lining up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:22 am 
Sparks Level

Attending Rose Bowl

My package tour is confirmed for the Rose Bowl via the Wisconsin Alumni Association. Badgers are positioned as "Goliath" vs TCU as "David". I'm expecting a non-biblical outcome.

Next season, with Nebraska in the 12 member Big 10, will change the landscape. So I'm going to Rose Bowl, might not have another chance anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:50 pm 
Plasma Level

AB P.E. wrote:
My package tour is confirmed for the Rose Bowl via the Wisconsin Alumni Association.

Have a great time. The Badgers set out to prove they are the team to beat in the Big 10 with the thrashing they have given some of the teams - and some scores bordering on being up there with basketball type scores :eek: I will even be a fair weather Badger fan this year (although only for the Rose Bowl :rolleyes: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:28 am 
Sparks Level

Third time lucky? The Badger going to their 3rd consecutive Rose Bowl. Perhaps a non-typical path to get there. The championship vs. Nebraska showed Badger capability. Can the Big 10 defeat the Pac 10 in Pasadena?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:11 pm 
Plasma Level

Being a die hard Buckeye fan, this has been a strange year for football. 12-0 and no where to go. So..... I wish the Badgers all the best and bring on the Pac 10!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:51 pm 

Anyone here a NY Giant fan?