It is currently Wed May 25, 2022 5:54 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Does anyone know what QMB stands for in a QMB fusible panel?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:52 pm 

I am new to industry and we have QMB panels. I have scoured the internet and asked co-workers, but no one knows what it stands for. Does it even stand for anything?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:11 pm 
Sparks Level

Taylor wrote:
I am new to industry and we have QMB panels. I have asked scoured the internet and asked co-workers, but no one knows what it stands for. Does it even stand for anything?

Are they made by Square D? Do you have the info on them? It would be their model name for that particular line up..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 am 

glen1971 wrote:
Are they made by Square D? Do you have the info on them? It would be their model name for that particular line up..

Yes, it is Square D. I guess I'm so used to acronyms in the military I just assumed QMB was an acronym also. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:47 pm 
Arc Level

Taylor wrote:
Yes, it is Square D. I guess I'm so used to acronyms in the military I just assumed QMB was an acronym also. Thank you!

The Square D fusible product offering was Saflex, which was a manual 'pull-out' style switch. In the 60's they added a spring operated mechanism and called their product line QMB Saflex. By the 80's the name Saflex had been discontinued and their product line since then has simply been called QMB.

There is some marketing literature that refers to QMB as 'quick make and break', but that was not part of the official name, probably due to copyright infringements. The GE fusible product offering was QMQB which they did call Quick Make Quick Break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:22 am 

I am always curious when I see acronyms that I can't figure out. It is interesting to find out why they don't really explain what QMB stands for, thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:58 am 

Taylor wrote:
I am new to industry and we have QMB panels. I have asked scoured the internet and asked co-workers, but no one knows what it stands for. Does it even stand for anything?

Quick Make, Quick Break.... in electrical switches you want the speed of the contacts that make and break current to be unrelated to how slow or how quick you move your hand. Hence, many switches will employ spring powered mechanisms to ensure that he blades come together quickly or open quickly to reach full open position or full closed position and minimize arcing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:58 am 

In my building we started with Type QO circuit breaker panels for 120 v loads- lights, outlets, etc. These breakers snap into place in the box for quick installation. Then we got some Type QOB panels, which have breakers that are BOLTED in place, hence the B there.

Post subject: Re: Does anyone know what QMB stands for in a QMB fusible pa
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:39 pm 

Probably, Quick Make, Quick Break. Refers to the fact the blades are moved by springs, not directly coupled to your hand speed. An innovation introduced many years ago.

Reduces arcing during switching.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:19 am 
Plasma Level

Back in my Square D days (a life time ago) we were taught QO stood for "Quick Open" although I think that was more of a marketing thing since other manufacturers had variations of the "Q Frame" designation such as QY, QP, etc. We never learned what QMB was but Marcelo's stab at it makes perfect sense.

Here's a trivia question along that line. What does the "D" in Square D stand for? No fair using Google or asking your Square D friend.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:38 am 
Plasma Level

Ok Jim, How long you going to keep us in suspense? What does the D stand for? Dollars?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:03 am 
Arc Level

wbd wrote:
Ok Jim, How long you going to keep us in suspense? What does the D stand for? Dollars?

The D stands for Detroit, as in Detroit Fuse and Manufacturing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:52 am 
Plasma Level

We have a winner! Detroit!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:02 am 
Sparks Level

Jim Phillips (brainfiller) wrote:
We have a winner! Detroit!

You don't see that every day. Winner and Detroit both mentioned in the same breath.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:28 am 
Plasma Level

And now for the story of the "Square".

From what I heard during Square D days is the "Detroit Fuse Company" in the early 1900's had a water tower like so many other manufacturing companies back then. They painted a big "D" on the tower and then for cutting edge graphics of the early 1900's, put a big box or square around it. People began to refer to the company as the D in the square, the square with the D and it morphed into Square D Company. As the late Paul Harvey used to say, "and now you know the rest of the story"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:39 am 
Arc Level

Jim Phillips (brainfiller) wrote:
And now for the story of the "Square".

From what I heard during Square D days is the "Detroit Fuse Company" in the early 1900's had a water tower like so many other manufacturing companies back then. They painted a big "D" on the tower and then for cutting edge graphics of the early 1900's, put a big box or square around it. People began to refer to the company as the D in the square, the square with the D and it morphed into Square D Company. As the late Paul Harvey used to say, "and now you know the rest of the story"

They made one of the first commercially acceptable enclosed, hence 'safety', switches so the cutting edge graphic was embossed on their product, not just the water tower.