It is currently Wed May 25, 2022 6:11 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Transformer Coupled Heating Elements
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:57 am 

I am redesigning a control panel for an old rotary furnace with 2-zone heating elements. The first zone is currently coupled with a 1:1 transformer which I believe is to bring the line to ground voltage down to 277V. Zone 2, however, has a 480:240 transformer. The transformer is 1/3 the size of the zone one transformer which, I understand, is because there is about 1/3 the length of heating elements in zone 2. I am lost as to why there is 240V going to zone 2. The only idea I have gotten from anyone about this question is that it may react faster/slower than the other elements because Zone 2 is just there to maintain heat. My question is: Does anyone think I need this transformer? I would like to maintain temperature within a tenth of a percent if that affects the answer.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:37 pm 

Taylor wrote:
I am redesigning a control panel for an old rotary furnace with 2-zone heating elements. The first zone is currently coupled with a 1:1 transformer which I believe is to bring the line to ground voltage down to 277V. Zone 2, however, has a 480:240 transformer. The transformer is 1/3 the size of the zone one transformer which, I understand, is because there is about 1/3 the length of heating elements in zone 2. I am lost as to why there is 240V going to zone 2. The only idea I have gotten from anyone about this question is that it may react faster/slower than the other elements because Zone 2 is just there to maintain heat. My question is: Does anyone think I need this transformer? I would like to maintain temperature within a tenth of a percent if that affects the answer.

It is amazing how asking question to others seems to always help me figure the answer out on my own (well, with the help of a colleague). The transformer is due to the reduced resistance in the zone two elements. 1/3 of all the elements are in zone 2, not 1/3 as many as zone 1, therefore 1/2 as many as zone 1... In case anyone was curious.

Profile Send private message