It is currently Wed May 25, 2022 6:04 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: NASCAR is BACK!! What a long hard winter!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:45 am 

NASCAR is BACK!! What a long hard winter!!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:28 am 

Oh to be in Daytona today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:21 am 
Plasma Level

On of my sister's best friends is operations manager at Daytona - insane weekend for her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:05 am 
Plasma Level

Interesting start to the season, it bugs me these guys can't put rain tires on like pretty much every other racing leauge in the world. Wasted my Sunday waiting for a dry track.

I am an amature racer myself, road courses (VIR, CMP, Road Atlanta) and autocross. I won my first autocross event last weekend. (Well first in a long time, took 20 years off due to family responsibilities)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:40 am 
Sparks Level

Congratulations Zog on you victory!

Just a little remark on the rain tires, isn’t it true with NASCAR that if they can’t race they postpone the race to later on? Rain tires in the rain give less grip then the normal tires during sunny weather and in NASCAR the wall is pretty close at those speeds, it’s just waiting for horrific accidents to happen if they would race in the rain?

We don’t have NASCAR on the TV here in the Netherlands, I mean I’m a big formula 1 fan and those races have a fixed time no matter what. But in formula 1 there is a tight schedule and more important when someone overshoots a corner it usually isn’t a big deal because off the gravel pits and the fact that they are off the track.

Only time the tight schedule and the we always race mentality went wrong is a few years ago were only teams that drove on bridgestones were able to drive. And no matter how you put it only 6 cars of 3 teams on a track is not much fun to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:42 am 
Sparks Level

Congratulations Zog on you victory!

Just a little remark on the rain tires, isn’t it true with NASCAR that if they can’t race they postpone the race to later on? Rain tires in the rain give less grip then the normal tires during sunny weather and in NASCAR the wall is pretty close at those speeds, it’s just waiting for horrific accidents to happen if they would race in the rain?

We don’t have NASCAR on the TV here in the Netherlands, I mean I’m a big formula 1 fan and those races have a fixed time no matter what. But in formula 1 there is a tight schedule and more important when someone overshoots a corner it usually isn’t a big deal because off the gravel pits and the fact that they are off the track.

Only time the tight schedule and the we always race mentality went wrong is a few years ago were only teams that drove on bridgestones were able to drive. And no matter how you put it only 6 cars of 3 teams on a track is not much fun to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:37 am 
Plasma Level

Well the cars are able to be equipped with wipers and the teams all have rain tires, there have been times when they raced road courses (My favorites) in the rain but not on the tracks with 4 left turns. But since they have tire and wipers available and it would be the same for all teams I don't see why not. There would be a point where the tracks would start weeping water where even rain tires would hydroplane and conditions would get dangerous but a light rain with maybe a caution so all teams can pit and change tires would be interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:10 am 
Sparks Level

Today I have learned I am ignorant :P

I thought NASCAR always is 4 banked left turns, sorry :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:23 am 
Sparks Level

I have seen (on TV) NASCAR 2nd division racing here in Wisconsin at Road America. 4 mile track, about 14 turns, many elevation changes. My first visit to Road America was in the early 1970's, for the CAN-AM races, sigh, those were the days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:34 am 
Plasma Level

Racing at Road America is on my bucket list, one of the best road courses in the USA for sure, maybe THE best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:52 am 
Plasma Level

Luc wrote:

My son and I were at F1 in Indianapolis when that happened - Huge F1 fans. Right after the reconnaissance lap - I think it was 2005, most pulled into the pit due to the high turn that put too much stress on the tires. Pretty uneventful when one of the few drivers was Michael Schumacher and the rest were the "back of the pack" crowd. At the podium, the third place finisher (forgot his name) was jumping up and down for his first podium appearance and Schumacher just held the trophy up, waved sheepishly and then put it down knowing it was a shallow victory. Been to other F1 races though and they are always awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:17 am 
Plasma Level

Watched Rush last weekend, fantastic movie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:19 pm 
Plasma Level

Haven't seen the movie yet but it really looks good. btw, congrats on the autocross victory!