It is currently Wed May 25, 2022 7:58 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Conspiracy theory? Arc Flash
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:02 am 

Just used this title to get started. In the famous 9/11 terror attack, planes destroyed buildings. Could some of the building damage have been from arc flash, wiring suddenly and completely shorted?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:41 pm 
Sparks Level

I am not familiar with the electrical wiring in the twin towers nor its protection (fuses relays etc). There is a reasonable change that there were probably a few arc flashes. But then again in the way you ask it I am pretty sure they (the towers) would have gone down even if there weren’t any arc flashes with the damage from the crash and the burning yet fuel. And that fuel would have burned even if there was no arc flash to ignite it, plenty of sparks from grinding metal and such I can assume. I do not believe that arc flashes were the ‘push’ that made the towers collapse and there is no ‘ow if we had done arc flash mitigation those towers would still be here and hundreds wouldn’t have lost their lives’.

[color=#000000]Don’t take this the wrong way but I do not really understand why you ask this question, it’s a painful matter and we are on a forum made by an American with a lot off American people on it. Not that it really matters if this was an all European forum my message would basically still be the same.[/color

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:15 am 

No, it is a serious question. When so many questions were posed about the amount of heat generated by burning jet fuel, and the degree of melted steel observed, I wonder if that is consistent with arc flash damage. Those were huge buildings, with huge electrical systems. I do not believe in conspiracy theories, just posing a scientific question. If an "average" arc flash incident could destroy a whole switchgear room, a large one could increase the scale of damage. The electrical system in those buildings was not new, but no mitigation plan would have anticipated that possibility anyway.
It is not my intent to make anyone uncomfortable here. Please accept my apologies, or ignore this thread.