It is currently Wed May 25, 2022 6:26 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: New Forum Area
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:52 pm 
Plasma Level

Since many people want to discuss subjects that may not be directly arc flash or electrical safety related, I added this section. :)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:16 pm 
Plasma Level

brainfiller wrote:
Since many people want to discuss subjects that may not be directly arc flash or electrical safety related, I added this section. :)

What else is there to talk about? :)

Let's keep it clean people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:43 pm 

Business

For those of you who provide consulting services, what percentage of your business has been performing the following:

Risk Analysis Services (incident energy calcs, data collection, risk reduction etc)

Training

Other Electrical Consulting Services

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:44 pm 
Sparks Level

I would say that in the previous 18 to 24 months about 10% to 15% has been with arc flash studies and training. Don't see that happening in the next year though. All of our work is utility so it is not as complex as for the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:21 pm 
Plasma Level

John Perrotti wrote:
For those of you who provide consulting services, what percentage of your business has been performing the following:

Risk Analysis Services (incident energy calcs, data collection, risk reduction etc)

Training

Other Electrical Consulting Services

This is way too arc flash related :)

Not anymore but my last career was:
Risk Analysis - 30%
Training- 60%
Other- 10%

So..Spring training started today....Twins will win series in 2010 in a World Series spanning 14 days after 5 snow outs in the new outdoor Target field.

Planned my spring customer trout fishing trip today, mountian air, big fish, and a little shine :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:58 pm 
Sparks Level

Are you talking about the "bobsy" twins, or the twins nextdoor, or who? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:07 pm 
Sparks Level

Personally, I would rather discuss flying! I flew a twin for 1500 hours before I bought my A36 and love the plane. In my second life I manage an airport and flight school. At 60 I still have a second job. That should let you know how much I love to fly! We have 5 instructors and about 110 members. Any other pilots out there? I also have a taildragger that is awesome to fly! Zog, lets go do some loops and spins!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:26 am 
Plasma Level

acobb wrote:
Personally, I would rather discuss flying! I flew a twin for 1500 hours before I bought my A36 and love the plane. In my second life I manage an airport and flight school. At 60 I still have a second job. That should let you know how much I love to fly! We have 5 instructors and about 110 members. Any other pilots out there? I also have a taildragger that is awesome to fly! Zog, lets go do some loops and spins!

I am in! Love planes. My boss is a pilot, he collect planes, mostly WII fighters some really cool stuff. He just got some fancy new jet. Which airport? We are looking to move our facility to an airport so the bossman can fly in and out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:29 am 
Plasma Level

acobb wrote:

Living in the Carolinas so long you may not be aware there is a professional baseball leauge and every year they play what they call the world series, even though only US and Canada teams are invited to play. :)

Man we need a team in Charlotte, build it on the old Philip Morris site in Concord.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:31 am 
Plasma Level

acobb wrote:

That is fantastic. I used to fly a 172 for a short period in the 90's. Loved it. Got too busy to keep up with it but it was a lot of fun at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:30 am 
Sparks Level

Zog wrote:
...Twins will win series in 2010 in a World Series spanning 14 days after 5 snow outs in the new outdoor Target field.

acobb wrote:

acobb wrote:
Personally, I would rather discuss flying! I flew a twin for 1500 hours before I bought my A36 and love the plane.

acobb, are these the same twins that will win the World Series, or are you flying the twins next door? ;)
Talk about loops and spins! :p

My wife got me one flying lesson for Christmas a couple of years ago. It was one of the best gifts I've gotten. I just wish I had an excuse to get my license and could afford to keep it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:10 pm 
Sparks Level

WdeanN:
Still pondering over those twins.....nice thought!

Jim:
If you enjoyed it that well, why did you quit? All you need is a current medical and a BFR at this point....I have flown to the beach just to eat a hotdog.....a 200 dollar hotdog! We once called it a 100 dollar hamburger, but that has changed!

Zog:
Does that mean I still owe you lunch or do you buy if I take you flying?

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:46 am 

My dad flew a Baron in the 80's. I used to fly with him and I loved every minute of it.
One day, out of the blue, he sold it. He said he didn't have the time but I knew better. He used to fly around the midwest on business year round. I think he took on too much ice one day and felt lucky to get down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:04 am 
Plasma Level

acobb wrote:
Zog:
Does that mean I still owe you lunch or do you buy if I take you flying?

Alan

I buy, and a good lunch too, no beers for you till we get back though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:03 pm 
Sparks Level

After flying a Seneca (twin) for 13 years, I was actually looking at Barons when I decided to buy the Bonanza A36. After 3 years, I have it for sale (don't really know why) and am looking at Seneca V's, Barons, and Mooney Ovation G3X's. The wife says this time I have to sell before I buy....but what does she know? Boys and their toys I guess. Stupid pilot stuff!

Understand the ice thing, I have been in some serious weather over the years that has made me rethink the whole process. I do not fly in instrument conditions in the summer any more without on board weather.

Zog:
Since we have the 8 hour bottle to throttle rule, I couldn't do the beer before anyway, but it is allowed afterward.....Will be in touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:56 pm 
Plasma Level

acobb wrote:
Jim:
If you enjoyed it that well, why did you quit? All you need is a current medical and a BFR at this point....I have flown to the beach just to eat a hotdog.....a 200 dollar hotdog! We once called it a 100 dollar hamburger, but that has changed!
Alan

Great question. My flying was sporadic over a couple of years. Between my travel schedule and North East Ohio's tendancy for IFR conditions or Great Lakes winds, when I was home, often I could not fly and found myself slipping backwards. I just let it fade away. It was a lot of fun and very peacful up there (except when getting back down there!) Now I fly way too much but it is usually from something like seat 16C on a 737 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:41 pm 
Sparks Level

I am going to get Zog hooked on this stuff....just stay tuned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:35 am 
Plasma Level

acobb wrote:
I am going to get Zog hooked on this stuff....just stay tuned!

Already hooked, have had friends that were piloits my whole life. Planes are like pools and boats, better to have a friend with one than own one yourself :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:36 am 
Plasma Level

Sliderule History

This morning, just for the fun of it, I had a quick calculation to do. I did it using a small (5") Sterling sliderule I have on my desk. My result of the calc was 720. I did the same calc on a calculator and came up with 719.68. Not bad accuracy for a SR. Of course, could have done better with a 10" or a 20" desktop model.

A lot of things were built with SR that are still around functioning today.

Anyone still have a SR on their desk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 am 
Sparks Level

Not on my desk, but as an ornament on a shelf at home, from an uncle of mine. I'm a bit too young (31) to have really used it.

I guess I could've used it in "no calculators allowed" exams, but I never tried the correctors, just in case.