It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:10 am

Did you know anyone that has died as a result of electrical hazards?
Yes
No
You may select 1 option

View results
ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Fatality from Electrical Hazards
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:13 pm 
Plasma Level

This weeks’ question can be a bit emotional but here it goes.

Did you know anyone that has died as a result of electrical hazards?
(This does not include investigations/forensics etc.)
Yes
No

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Fatality from Electrical Hazards
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:49 pm 
Plasma Level

For me: Two.

One was someone I had worked with - arc flash/3rd degree burns.
Second was family friend's sister - electrocution from faulty extension cord at home.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:52 am 
Sparks Level

For me, no.

I know a few people that were seriously injured but no fatalities. The worst is was a medium voltage electrocution. Serious burns and loss of a leg. Was in an induced coma for weeks. He'd de-energized the circuit the day before but did not lock it out. This was in a factory. Someone from the factory re-energized the circuit overnight and the victim did not verify before working on the circuit the following morning.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:38 am 

A guy I went to college with was a non-electrical contractor in the central coast of California. In the early 90's, he was boring a hole in a floor right by an open electrical cabinet and his drill caught something and threw him into the panel. He was electrocuted and left 4 young kids and a wife. The wife was an amazing lady who raised all four kids and has yet to re-marry. The kids are now married, in-college, and out of college.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:55 am 
Sparks Level

I've not had that unhappy experience, however, one of our guys was badly injured when a Cooper Bussmann fuse base blew up in his hand. I'm relaying this story so others can learn from this.

Our electrician had replaced a blown 30 amp 480 volt fuse in this three phase fuse pull out. See the attached pdf of this fuse holder. He was installing the fuse back into the base when it shorted and blew up in his hand. His right hand and forearm were burned (second degree). Fortunately, his face was not burned.
Why did the fuse base short out? I don't know for sure, but have ideas. I believe the contacts inside the body of the fuse holder connected before the barriers between the connections were fully seated. That would allow any spark to propagate to the next phase. I believe that is what happened here.
One problem I found was the actual warning label on the fuse holder. In this case, the warning language was written behind the handle. Further, it was written in about 6 point font. The small font was difficult for me to see and hard to read. The warning said something like "do not remove under load". That may not be the exact wording, but it's close. I thought the language was odd.
During the deposition, their attorney asked me why our electrician did not shut the power off? I explained that in our world, meaning an electrician's world, if you've removed a pull out or fuse holder, it is off.
Please have a look at the attached pdf. I'd also urge you to let your crews know that if and when dealing with this particular fuse holder, that power MUST be turned off before removing or installing the fuse holder.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:20 am 
Plasma Level

Good stories everyone! Thanks!
This thread was intended to be a not so subtle reminder that electrical hazards are lurking everywhere. Many of us know this, but many do not.