It is currently Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:24 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic

Have you ever been shocked?
Yes
No
You may select 1 option

View results
Author Message
 Post subject: Have you ever been shocked?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:31 pm 
Plasma Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 1637
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
NFPA 70E goes to great lengths when it comes to protection against the electric shock hazard.

Have you ever experienced an electric shock? Minor, major, at home, on the job, or anywhere.

  • Yes
  • No

_________________
Jim Phillips, P.E.
Brainfiller.com


Report this post
Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:16 am 

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:59 am
Posts: 21
Location: Minneapolis, MN
More times than I care to admit!

During the 2011 ESW in Toronto, Dr. Joel Fish from St John's Rehab Hospital gave a presentation on what he called the "Hidden Shock Injury". In a nutshell, these were cases when a person received what appeared to be little more than a minor shock with no apparent serious injury. However, this was not the case. These people suffered from a long list of symptoms ranging from pain, fatigue and inability to concentrate. They would see a variety of specialists, go through a battery of tests but no signs of damage could be found. They were often accused of insurance fraud. But, their conditions were very real and they were unable to return to work at their former jobs. If you are a safety trainer I suggest you look this up and use it. It is frightening stuff.

Bob Ragsdale, P.E.


Report this post
Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:58 am 
Plasma Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 1637
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
BCR_1962 wrote:
During the 2011 ESW in Toronto, Dr. Joel Fish from St John's Rehab Hospital gave a presentation on what he called the "Hidden Shock Injury". In a nutshell, these were cases when a person received what appeared to be little more than a minor shock with no apparent serious injury. However, this was not the case. These people suffered from a long list of symptoms ranging from pain, fatigue and inability to concentrate.... ...It is frightening stuff.
Bob Ragsdale, P.E.


Thanks for bringing up this presentation. I recall it was a lot of great information and very important.

My son had a serious shock (not able to let go type of event) in 2003. He fell, which broke the circuit but I took him to the ER knowing that sometimes the effects are not noticeable for a while.

Initially he was fine (no heart damage) but he was visibly shaken. He developed a few heart rhythm problems afterwards that gave us a scare - it lasted a month or two.

As you say, and as we found out the hard way, it is important to follow up even if the shock appears to be minor. Fortunately nothing was permanent.

Thank!

_________________
Jim Phillips, P.E.
Brainfiller.com


Report this post
Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:39 am 

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 10
Good question. I suspect if you were raised with electricity in your life, you have been shocked.

That would mean the only "no" votes would come from those that were not raised with electricity (amish?). Therefore, they would also not have internet access and could not cast their "no" vote. Is this a fair survey question? :D


Report this post
Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:53 am 
Plasma Level

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Charlotte, NC
BCR_1962 wrote:
More times than I care to admit!

During the 2011 ESW in Toronto, Dr. Joel Fish from St John's Rehab Hospital gave a presentation on what he called the "Hidden Shock Injury". In a nutshell, these were cases when a person received what appeared to be little more than a minor shock with no apparent serious injury. However, this was not the case. These people suffered from a long list of symptoms ranging from pain, fatigue and inability to concentrate. They would see a variety of specialists, go through a battery of tests but no signs of damage could be found. They were often accused of insurance fraud. But, their conditions were very real and they were unable to return to work at their former jobs. If you are a safety trainer I suggest you look this up and use it. It is frightening stuff.

Bob Ragsdale, P.E.


This is called Diffuse Electrical Injury and is very real.
http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_happens_electricity_doesnt/


Report this post
Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:02 pm 
Sparks Level

Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:02 am
Posts: 136
A friend of mine got "hi-potted" at 25 kv DC!!! The guy doing the test was sorry and had taken several short cuts for his tests... In the end they said there was more we could have done to prevent it.. I guess 3 locks in the 90s was not enough....


Report this post
Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:54 am 

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:20 am
Posts: 47
Location: Texas
Did he survive or die? If survive - any lasting effect?


Report this post
Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:56 am 
Sparks Level

Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:02 am
Posts: 136
George wrote:
Did he survive or die? If survive - any lasting effect?


He got thrown back into the reactor cage he was working in. Fortunately he was wearing leather gloves.. No lasting effects and no other injuries that day..


Report this post
Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
© 2022 Arcflash Forum / Brainfiller, Inc. | P.O. Box 12024 | Scottsdale, AZ 85267 USA | 800-874-8883