It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:03 pm

Has your policy regarding energized work above 40 cal/cm2 changed since 2018 NFPA 70E
Yes 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
No 68%  68%  [ 25 ]
Depends on site/client 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
N/A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
You may select 1 option

Total votes : 37
 Post subject: Policy Change on Energized Work Above 40 cal/cm^2
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:52 am 
Plasma Level

Now that several years have passed since the informational note regarding de-energizing above 40 cal/cm2 was removed from 2018 Edition of NFPA 70E, have you/company/client changed policy regarding energized work about 40 cal/cm2 ?

Tell us what changed.

Has your policy regarding energized work above 40 cal/cm2 changed since 2018 NFPA 70E

Yes
No
Depends on site/client
N/A

Report this post
 Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Policy Change on Energized Work Above 40 cal/cm^2
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:17 am 
Arc Level

It is nice having a cutoff point, so I haven't seen a push to raise it. Partly because we are doing a better job of defining/performing the risk part of the analysis.

I see less of the demand to wear full PPE when simply walking into a room. I would like to think it is because more safety experts are understanding the nuances of NFPA70E, like equipment doors and deadfronts are not always synonymous, but I doubt it is.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Policy Change on Energized Work Above 40 cal/cm^2
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:51 am 
Plasma Level

JBD wrote:
It is nice having a cutoff point, so I haven't seen a push to raise it. Partly because we are doing a better job of defining/performing the risk part of the analysis.

I see less of the demand to wear full PPE when simply walking into a room. I would like to think it is because more safety experts are understanding the nuances of NFPA70E, like equipment doors and deadfronts are not always synonymous, but I doubt it is.

I had a client here in Arizona that went the other way. They lowered their go/no from 40 cal/cm^2 down to 12 cal/cm^2. The reasoning is if it is greater than their daily wear, they won't work on it. Instead they hire a contractor or call the utility since this only affects their main incoming switchboard.

Your point about "doing a better job" couldn't be more spot on. Thanks to years of people (many here at the forum) helping people better understand the hazard, risk assessments, PPE, studies etc. It has been on monumental group effort and thanks to all those involved!

The motto for the IEEE Electrical Safety Workshop held every year is "Changing the Electrical Safety Culture" It has been steady progress and we can safely say the culture has changed for the better - with the help of more people than we can count. Keep moving it forward!

Report this post