It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:39 pm

Post subject: Employer/employee responsibility
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:26 pm 

I am looking for clarification on the employer/employee responsibility of NFPA 70E. I have been an industrial electrician for about 14 years at a manufacturing facility. The facility has about 29 electricians plus a handful of people that would be considered electrically qualified in their trade, ie. HVAC technician or machinery repair techs. They are spread out across three shifts and divided in to smaller work groups.

I have recently been told I was appointed to be the facilities electrical guideline owner . Meaning I would be the point of contact for all electrical safety question, I would review the guideline and make changes as would be necessary. I would also be in charge of coming up and implementing a job risk assessment document to stay compliant with NFPA70E and OSHA, providing a program for inspection of tools FR clothing and PPE.

To me taking on this responsibility seems a little much, I am no expert in the NFPA70E and I am an electrician in the facility and would basically be implementing programs that would “police” myself while doing electrical work. The Safety department has stated that they do not have anyone in their department that understand electrical and that is why I was appointed, because I am a team lead for my work group of electricians. I was wondering if I was wrong in my thinking and hesitation to take on this responsibility. I feel although it is my responsibility to work safely every day, it is the responsibility of my employer to implement the programs they feel necessary to stay compliant with NFPA, OSHA and state regulations

Report this post
 Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Employer/employee responsibility
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:44 am 
Sparks Level

I would be happy if I were in your shoes. Your employer values and trusts you. I'd say sure, I'd be happy to take on that responsibility after you send me to additional training classes on NFPA 70E and OSHA in order to become qualified to do what you are asking of me. You will become more valuable after receiving that education and your neck will less likely to be on the chopping block when the inevitable lay-offs come. I would think so anyway.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:25 am 

I agree with bbaumer comment.
It sounds like your employer has a lot of faith in your capabilities, but I am not sure your employer understands the effort required of you to make the program successful. Do you have some qualified individuals within your work group that can help support your leadership of the work group while you take on these additional responsibilities? I would also ask the safety department, who is assigned to oversee your effort and provide the necessary clerical and support required to complete this assignment? I would view this as a great opportunity to improve my own safety skills.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:39 am 
Sparks Level

I agree with bbaumer. You should feel honored that they asked you for this guidance and expertise. Now you just have to prove to them that you are the right person for this job. I would start out by reading a couple of electrical safety articles or blogs everyday. Do this even if you have to do it on your own time. Sign up for one or more NFPA 70E classes. The more different NFPA 70E classes you go to, the more you will learn. Each class presents the information is a different way and we all have different learning styles.

Many companies (like ours) have Safety Blogs and articles on their website to further educate you. Remember, knowledge is power! The more you know about a subject, the more valuable you become as an employee.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:26 pm 

:o
Wow, I am surprised your 29 + qualified employees have not already gone through this training. NFPA 70E has been in publication since 1979 I believe and the latest 2018 had tons more rules for us to follow. You said that you are electrically qualified, but that would require you to read and follow the standard and also make sure all your employees at your plant are trained as well. All of this training has to be documented by the way. No where in the NFPA 70E book does it say electrician, as the book is for electrical safety in the workplace. I am an industrial electrician as well and it was my responsibility to get all the training needed to write an electrical safety policy, have documented training on all my electricians for what they are qualified to do, train all employees at the site in electrical safety, purchase all the arc flash PPE, do a site specific arc flash assessment, maintain all the equipment to NFPA 70B standards and tell management what they need to do to make our plant "electrically safe" to work in. This is not what I really wanted to do, but as you stated, you are the one that knows electricity, so you should be the one to make sure this is done to meet the requirements of NFPA 70E as this is what OSHA will use if an electrical violation or incident happens at your site. I have been doing this since 2005 and I can tell you it is not an easy task to complete and I guess it is never complete. You will have so many questions and this forum is a good place to get them answered as many have already gone through what you are about to get your feet wet in. I am trying to chastise your decision, but I believe that your management is relying on your expertise because your safety personnel or management do not understand electrical safety as much as you do. Not an easy or inexpensive task you have been asked to do. Good luck and keep asking questions....

Thanks, Gus....

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:58 am 

I think it is a serious responsibility but one well worth taking on. I expect you will need time to read and absorb 70E and all the other material, start to enact the safety measures, and the company will have to invest in this with you. You’ll have to train ‘up’ the company so that officers learn their responsibilities which they might be surprised to learn.
Nice opportunity- good luck on this

Report this post