It is currently Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:00 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Fault Data From LA Department of Water & Power
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:44 am 

Has anyone had any dealings with Los Angeles Department of Water & Power? We are trying to get fault data for an arc flash study in LA and they will not provide anything, not even transformer data. The site has two pole mounted services and we were told by the customer support rep the only way they provide transformer data is if it is new construction. If anyone has a contact out that way or any ideas I would appreciate hearing them.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Fault Data From LA Department of Water & Power
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:11 am 
Plasma Level

I don't have any experience with LA but had an issue with a Maine utility not providing any information only that the fault current is proprietary information. After many attempts, I ended up contacting the PUC, educating them and then the PUC directed the utility to provide the information I requested.

One thing that seemed to get the PUC's attention was that this information was needed in order for the company to meet OSHA requirements. The OSHA requirement cited was for providing proper PPE to protect for the hazard. In order to do that, the employer needs to do a hazard assessment and select the PPE for that. The section is 1910.132.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:25 am 

I spent many months attempting to get fault current data from LA City Water & Power with no success. In the end, we ended up using best engineering judgements, making a few assumptions, and running min/max analysis. The engineers I spoke with at LA understood why I needed the information, but their policy does not allow them to provide it. In my opinion, it seemed to be more of a liability issue. Best of luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:54 am 

I recently did a project at a high-rise building in downtown LA. The service is existing but LADWP required that I submit a service application like I was requesting a new service. They explained that that is their process and that it would probably take a long time. I don't know if they would have ever responded, but the schedule ran out so I had to use my own "best engineering judgement".

The electrical inspector actually had a fault current lookup table that seemed to approximate infinite primary assumption for my case.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:26 pm 

Thanks for the feedback.....It appears we are fighting a losing battle.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:29 pm 
Sparks Level

LA power must be a regulated utility under some higher governmental agency. Not sure who that is, but if they do need to comply with a higher AHJ, then that's who you talk to. In some States the AHJ members are elected by popular vote so they tend to listen to complaints about services provided by a regulated monopoly like LA power. My experience was to go to the authority having some control over these guys. I did and got attention fast! I got a personal call from a representative asking me what I needed?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:23 am 
Arc Level

CPUC regulates the IOUs, but municipals such as the one in question would be regulated by their boards.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:59 pm 
Arc Level

Suggest contacting your favorite board member and providing them with a copy of NEMA ABP 10.
https://www.nema.org/standards/view/arc-flash-analysis-utility-system-parameters-critical-for-accurate-ppe