It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:43 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Panel vs. Panelboard
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:53 pm 

I am new to arc flash studies and I am using EasyPower to model our system. I have a question as to what does EasyPower consider a "Panel" vs a "Panelboard"? I have modeled some panelboards by just creating a bus and then adding only the 3 phase breakers I need for the arc flash but ignoring all of the other non 3 phase breakers. But on this project, the customer would like us to enter the data on all the breakers in the panelboard, whether 1p, 2p or 3p for documentation purposes. The panel icon in the software allows you to enter breakers of different types and it produces a panel schedule. Is there some reason why I could not model my panelboards as panels in the software to take advantage of the panel schedule feature and documentation. If I do this, do I have to change any of the data in the panel icon to correctly calculate a panelboard application?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:15 am 
Sparks Level

I use EasyPower also. I do not use the panel icon in my studies, but I do believe that this is the same as a panelboard. They both show 25mm arc gaps, so the results should be the same. The panel schedule would be a good feature to use because of the documentation, but it doesn't work for my purposes due to the fact that you can't evaluate arc flash for devices downstream of the panel.

The panel works to calculate loads, conductors to the panel, etc. but not very well for arc flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:45 pm 
Sparks Level

That is actually not true, about the calculating of downstream loads for arc-flash. You can calculate downstream loads veryeasily as long as you connect you downstream device cable directly to the panel. You can then choose in the panel schedule the downstream load and give it a breaker.

The thing that might give you problems modeling an entire system is that the library probably does not have single pole and 2 pole breakers in it so it will be hard to show them in easypower. It is a 3phase program for all modules.