It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Study Quality Control
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:51 am 
Sparks Level

Hello All,

My experience has shown that studies completed by a single engineer without review have an unacceptable number of significant mistakes due to human error.

I'm interested in comparing notes on quality control in order to find flaws in my process and to learn from the mistakes of others.

Any takers?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:41 am 
Sparks Level

I can see trying to compare data gathering methodologies, but with the varying types of software on the market even data input methods will make comparisions difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:52 pm 
Sparks Level

cbauer wrote:
I can see trying to compare data gathering methodologies, but with the varying types of software on the market even data input methods will make comparisions difficult.

My review process is fairly independent of the modeling software used...

It has three parts:

1) Data Review - Confirmation that the collected data was correctly added to the model. Confirm model single line and protective zones.

2) Configuration Review - Confirmation that the worst case short circuit and arc flash switching alignments were considered.

3) Results Review - Confirmation that the short circuit and arc flash results represent the worst case.

Each part consists of a checklist to make sure that significant details are examined by a second set of (qualified) eyes. Judgment is involved in choosing what details will be reviewed each and every time a study is completed. If other people do this I'd like to compare notes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:02 pm 
Sparks Level

Looks like a fairly good process. I would add that you might want to verify some of the field data to insure that what you are inputting is correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:08 pm 
Sparks Level

cbauer wrote:
Looks like a fairly good process. I would add that you might want to verify some of the field data to insure that what you are inputting is correct.

When possible I check field data against single lines, contract info, test data, etc. The trick is to check the right things without essentially redoing the study... At some point you have to let go of control and trust your people... A little hard for me sometimes :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:38 pm 

Like both of you, we "trust but verify". One engineer collects field data and performs the calculations, and another verifies that ALL is correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:37 am 
Sparks Level

Sparkytrician wrote:
Like both of you, we "trust but verify". One engineer collects field data and performs the calculations, and another verifies that ALL is correct.

The problem that led me to create checklists for verification is that there are a lot of details. Maybe my brain is particularly resistant to repetitious tasks...

If anyone wants to compare checklists I'm game.