It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:54 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Getting Started
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:04 am 

We are in the process of trying to become compliant. I would like to know that we are headed in the right direction. My facility (under 200 employees) does not have any one lines. We are in the process of tracing everything out to make one lines. We have received our cat 2* PPE. I am ordering Cat 4. I am writing a Electrical Safety Policy. We have contacted the utility and found that we fit under the footnotes to use the tables. All this is taking place at concurrently. It seems like the more I think I understand, the less that I know. Does this sound like we are headed in the direction of compliance? We are hoping to have an official study done in the future, but we must get all our equipment traced out first. Any Advice? Thanks so much!!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:14 am 
Sparks Level

IMHO, yes you are headed in the right direction. When you purchase a software program it will draw the one -lines for you. At this point i would just gather the data and use the software to generate the drawings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:32 am 
Arc Level

1sparkygirl wrote:
We have contacted the utility and found that we fit under the footnotes to use the tables.

I'm surprised that the utility told you that you fit under the footnotes to use the tables. The utility can tell you if the fault current is below the footnote threshold, but they don't know what the clearing time is throughout your system.

I do think you are heading in the right direction. Creating the one-lines is important, not only for the analysis, but to know all sources of power with different switching configurations and to identify any backfeeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:42 am 

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I got the info from the utility, did the math and saw that we are below the max for the footnotes. What type of software is best for making one lines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:55 am 
Sparks Level

I initially worked with ESA's Easy Power. Was very user friendly and tech supportis great. I am now learning the SKM system. SKM seems to be a little more technical based, but I really haven't used it long enough to make a good reccommendation on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:53 pm 

I have been using both ETAP and SKM PowerTools over the last 5 or so years. I would recommend SKM PowerTools as the flexibility of the software, tools, support and stability of package appears to be superior in my opinion.

I have only used EasyPower casually (We have it at my office, but I have only used it in samples, never for a project) so I can't provide a recommendation one way or another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:04 am 
Sparks Level

For the non-electrial engineering professional I would recommend ESA's Easypower for your one-line.

You can also go to http://www.KYCBS.com to obtain templates and documentation if needed.