It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:18 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Who can do Arc Flash Studies
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:15 am 

Hello All,
I am looking for the Arc Flash community to help me out with a few questions,

I am the manager of an electrical company in Alberta and have put my journeymen through Arc Flash Safety training, but I would like to know if you think there is an opportunity to train my electricians to be able to carry out "Arc Flash Studies" for my current customers and future customers, I am willing to purchase the software and training required and I know that an engineering company would have to sign off and work with us to deliver the end product but;

1. Is this something that is required to assist engineering firms.

2. Is there a market for this for an electrical company (I know a lot of my customers are confused on what they are required to do).

3. Will the engineering firms be willing to partner with an Electrical company if they think it is taking away some of there work away.

Just thought I'd ask to see what people think before I go ahead and spend a lot of money on training and software.

Any other considerations would also be welcome.

Thanks...

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:07 am 
Plasma Level

Hello,

Since you are an electrical contractor with no engineering staff, I would not recommend making the investment in software as it still requires some engineering knowledge to understand what needs to be done and interpet the results and make recommendations.

My suggestion would be to find some engineering firms and see if you can partner with them to perform the necessary data collection needed to perform a AFH study along with the protection and coordination study that should go with it. Your firm's strength would be in collecting the data such as breaker/fuse details, conductor sizing/lengths, transformer nameplates, generators, etc.

This way you could make a recommendation to your customers and still be able to get some work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:22 am 
Plasma Level

I agree 100% with wbd. Your companies skill set and knowledge will translate to the data collection and engineering companies need a good EC to do the data collection right. The costs to do an arc flash study are roughly 50/50 engineering/data collection, it is win win for both.

You will make or lose money based on how fast, and how accurate they collect the data, going back to re-gather data is a profit killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:21 pm 

Thank you for your quick replies wbd & Zog,

I was kind of hoping that the feedback would be along those lines as that is what I had invisioned us doing as well.

Would using the software (I was thinking along the lines of ETAP) not be a better way of collecting audit information, I tend to see a lot problems getting hold of single line diagrams/drawings from our customers.

Also any Canadian engineering firms who do this work have any advice?

Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:16 pm 
Plasma Level

Sharpie wrote:
Would using the software (I was thinking along the lines of ETAP) not be a better way of collecting audit information,

Most software packages include printable data collection forms, the engineering firm should supply these to you.

Sharpie wrote:
I tend to see a lot problems getting hold of single line diagrams/drawings from our customers.
Yep, that is the hard part, and if they have them, chances are they are not right. Part of an arc flash study scope is usually providing up to date one lines to the customer.

.[/QUOTE]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:10 pm 

Sharpie wrote:

Also any Canadian engineering firms who do this work have any advice?

Thanks...

We are based in Toronto and have teamed up with several electrical contracting groups.The key is for you to have the right people on staff to get all the right electrical site data the first time.We have found many electricians are unaware and the importance of breaker solid state settings,breaker plug sizes and settings,impedances fuse styles etc.It is an uphill battle if you do not find the right electrical group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:51 am 

Typically, and for best results, the engineer should attend the data collection with the electrician, since he will know exactly what to look for regarding impedance, protection, interlocks, etc... and the electrician can open the panels and read off the necessary info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:52 pm 

In case you are still looking for software and training for Arc Flash studies, I know that ETAP holds training throughout Canada. In your area, the next one is in May. http://etap.com/events/2011/ev051111w113-calgary.htm