It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Arc Blast Calculations
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:54 am 

I was wondering if anyone has tools / software / spreadsheets / etc. for calculating arc blast energy and distances. I'm working on 480 volt cables located behind 480v power fuses in a network transformer vault. I have Ralph Lee's paper "The Other Electrical Hazard: Eletric Arc Blast Burns" and was wondering if other documents or tools are available. Your comments are appreciated. Does the new book "How to Perform a Detailed Arc-Flash Study" address arc blast calculations?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:37 pm 
Sparks Level

arc blast pressure calculations

check please www.arcadvisor.com for free online and commercial arc flash software incorporating arc blast calculations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:35 am 
Arc Level

But what do you do with the calculation? :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:34 am 
Plasma Level

JohnArc wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has tools / software / spreadsheets / etc. for calculating arc blast energy and distances. I'm working on 480 volt cables located behind 480v power fuses in a network transformer vault. I have Ralph Lee's paper "The Other Electrical Hazard: Eletric Arc Blast Burns" and was wondering if other documents or tools are available. Your comments are appreciated. Does the new book "How to Perform a Detailed Arc-Flash Study" address arc blast calculations?

There are a number of software packages available. Please see the forum section on software. There are EasyPower, ETAP, EDSA, SKM, etc.

When you say working, are you physically working on the cables? Network vaults typically have a looped system with fault current available from several sources. Are you de-energized?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:53 pm 

What type of work are you doing on the cables themselves? You can use the various software packages that wbd mentioned above to calculate the energy at the nearest bus which will, in most circumstances, meet your needs.

When working on cables themselves, they should be de-energized. I don't know any maintenance that can be completed on a live 480V cable.

I hope that helps.