It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:53 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: PSE&G Utility Contact Information
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:54 am 
Plasma Level

Hi Everyone,

I am having a tough time finding a contact in PSE&G in New Jersey to get the utility fault data needed for a study. I have sent emails to the address on their website and unfortunately, phone contact has not worked as it is not an emergency and I do not need billing assistance.

This client does not have a assigned Customer Service Rep, so I don't have a name to go directly to.

Does anyone have a contact at PSE&G?

would it be worth it for this forum to develop a list of utility contacts to obtain short circuit data from?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:54 am 
Plasma Level

wbd wrote:
would it be worth it for this forum to develop a list of utility contacts to obtain short circuit data from?

What does everyone think about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:25 am 
Plasma Level

brainfiller wrote:
What does everyone think about this?

I think it is a great idea, but I wonder if the utilities would have an issue with it. :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:33 am 
Plasma Level

Zog wrote:
I think it is a great idea, but I wonder if the utilities would have an issue with it. :confused:

Hi Zog,

that was my thought but if the utilities do have an issue, it might spur them to have some formalized or procedural way for someone to request that data. They may be able to train their Customer Service people to properly handle those requests.

From my viewpoint, I have a client waiting for the study and I have the model completely built but am lacking the utility data. I have sent emails via the web contact that PSE&G has set up and a month later no responses. It is getting frustrating on my part and my clients.

I do not want to take the step of filing a complaint with the NJ Public Utilities Commission without trying some more to get a response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:44 am 
Plasma Level

Zog wrote:

That's what I was thinking so I decided it might be good to get the input of others. Most utilities have an "official" point of contact (having worked at one for many years). I know some of the inside people there (at First Energy) that would have the info for their system, but they might take issue to have their office number posted. On the other hand, the forum is here to help every one so... :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:46 am 
Plasma Level

wbd wrote:
I have sent emails via the web contact that PSE&G has set up and a month later no responses. It is getting frustrating on my part and my clients.

I do not want to take the step of filing a complaint with the NJ Public Utilities Commission without trying some more to get a response.

Perhaps it's time to inform them that you are running out of options and this may be your last resort? :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:49 am 

PSE&G is one of your snottier utilities to deal with but its a mixed bag across the country - some are great some not so much. As of 2008 they were only providing short circuit data at the secondary spades of the PSE&G transformer which was really just an infinite bus calc.

I can send you a name/contact via private message since I don't think I would appreciate my email/phone being on a forum if I were in their shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:53 am 
Plasma Level

FEC2 wrote:
I can send you a name/contact via private message since I don't think I would appreciate my email/phone being on a forum if I were in their shoes.

Thanks FEC2 for confirming my thoughts. PM would be the best way to go if anyone else can help in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:01 am 
Plasma Level

FEC - thank you.

Overall, my experience with utilities have been good but I have mainly been dealing with smaller utilities. A number of years ago, I did have an issue with a larger utility where the engineer kept insisting I should use an infinite bus. After some gentle education, he understood why infinite bus was not the option for AFH analysis. So he provided me a range with lots of caveats on transformer impedances, etc. The range - - 4.5 MVA to 100 MVA!

On the plus side, I spent many years in utilities so was able to use some of those contacts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:10 pm 
Plasma Level

FEC2 wrote:
PSE&G is one of your snottier utilities to deal with

Snotty? In Jersey? Say it ain't so :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:15 am 
Sparks Level

I've run across this situation many times in the northeast... either no responce or being told to use infinite bus SC. I started using 75% of infinite bus SC cal and noting on the final report. Unless the study facility is across the street from the substation or generation plant it will never be infinite bus SC level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:25 am 
Plasma Level

A variation of that method is to begin with an infinite bus calculation and compare it to the PPE arc rating, i.e. 8 cal/cm^2 or whatever is selected.

Then slowly reduce the primary source in 10% increments to see if you reach a point where the PPE arc rating is no longer sufficient. This would indicate that the current fell below an instantaneous trip setting.

If you can reduce the current to a low level and your PPE rating is still adequate, you may not have the perfect answer but you have built a range of confidence in your study in the absence of utility data.

If you are barely able to reduce the fault current before the PPE rating becomes a problem, it's time to check the instantaneous settings and/or be more aggressive with the "uncooperative utility". << is that the opposite of an "Electric Cooperative"? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:51 am 
Sparks Level

Great Idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:54 am 
Arc Level

Wouldn't it be nice if the software handled the incrementation? (or is there some that will do it now?) You could input a fuse or relay TCC and get an IE versus current graph and quickly see which current levels are most problematic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:35 am 

I found a paper which recommends running a 2nd study at 50% of max bolted fault current, which could at least be a quick way to determine if you really need the 10% stepped analysis mentioned above.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.