It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Study Planning & Estimation
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:19 am 

Good Morning!
I have completed about a dozen studies now all of various sizes/complexities and am trying to get a better system of informing project managers how much time to allot for this. Some studies were done so quickly (i.e. “We need NFPA70E labels on our new panels next week”) that I did not have time to track how much I actually spent and I had one drag out so long I lost track as well.

So, my question is:
Would anyone be willing to share how they do this (quick guide, rules of thumb, gut-check, etc.), something that I can use as a gauge (or goal) that lets me know I am within the norm. Any insight and recommendations on haw I could get better at this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!!
James

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:11 am 

I have heard that $100 per point is a decent estimate. This is for field investigation and the study with the Owner providing a fairly thorough one-line. Though I have not seen how this relates yet in actual practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm 

Cost of arc flash study

MIEngineer wrote:
I have heard that $100 per point is a decent estimate. This is for field investigation and the study with the Owner providing a fairly thorough one-line. Though I have not seen how this relates yet in actual practice.

I think the comment above is very helpful but is anyone willing to expand on it? Is there any rule of thumb regarding arc flash studies? I would like to see a few helpful guidelines about general studies but also some line items such as simultaneous completion of a short circuit/fault current study (if not included explicitly in the arc flash study) and also a price for a device coordination study (if not included explicitly in the arc flash study). I know this isn't a simple matter, but something as simple as a dollar cost per square foot, or a # of man-hours per job for facility size and type will go far to moving arc flash studies along into the budgeting process, especially for larger companies who have the money but are limited by 1-, 3-, and 5-year budget planning. I know many industrial operators who aren't budgeting for proper arc flash work because they're pushing it on contractors. Is anyone comfortable expanding on the $100 per point comment above?