It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:28 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Arc Flash Study publication
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:16 am 

Hi everyone,

I'm working for a company which develops a Power Engineering Software and I'm in charge of testing our Arc Flash Analyser.

I need a reliable arc flash report (publication or anything like that) which studies a simple network (view attached file) and the inputs and calculations such as bolted 3-phase fault, arcing fault current, incident energy, arc flash boundaries, clearing time, gap distance, etc. The purpose is to build the network in the software and compare its outputs vs the report results so I could make validation cases.

There's no need to have solutions or recommandations for reducing arc flash hazards in the study, I only need calculations and results to prove the efficiency of our software.

Thank you for your help.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:41 am 
Sparks Level

It seems to me that if you have developed some software algorithms or tools that you shouldn't verify them against someone else's algorithms and tools, you should verify them against hand calculations taken directly from IEEE 1584, NFPA 70E, Chapter 4 in the IEEE Red Book, or whatever other IEEE standards are appropriate for what you're doing. It wouldn't sit well with me if I raised accuracy questions with my software vendor and they said "Oh, we checked it against Easypower (or whatever) so it must be accurate."

If you want to see study results from an independent source other than what you or your colleagues have performed, then solicit a few quotes for system studies based on your one-line. I'm sure there are some consultants on here that would be interested in that work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:28 pm 

Finally I realised that what I was looking for wasn't existing and I did IEEE-1584 hand calculation like you said.

Usually, i have to compare the results with a publication, an example in a book from a known author to validate the software results. Not with a concurrent software, it would be weird!
Arc Flash is the only module which I couldn't find a case. Short-circuit, short-circuit ANSI, Load Flow, Harmonic, there are plenty of cases in books.

Hand calculation is not bad but the document I made doesn't show the calculation because it's a very short document we put in the software so the user could quickly see the sofware calculation accuracy by comparing it with a publication. He only has to open the self-contained file and run the analysis to see that our results are the same as those in the publication.

If it's hand calculated, the user could do the calculation by himself with the references but it's less interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:01 am 
Arc Level

There is an example calculation in Chapter 10 of Complete Guide to Arc Flash Hazard Calculation Studies, by Jim Phillips.