It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:42 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Etap 11
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:19 am 

Just upgraded to Etap 11 from version 7.5.2. So far I am not impressed with the new version. They added some tables behind the scenes that raise their ugly head when you want to print off lables or run a arc flash calculation.

One thing I noticed is that if your buses between a tie-pd are of different ratings (switchgear and panelboard) you get a lovely error message. Not a simple upgrade I guess.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:26 am 
Sparks Level

I started using ver 6.0 long ago and really liked the program. Everything worked, it was stable... a good program.

Once OTI released ver 7.x it's been nothing but one issue after another of programming glitches and installation problems. The license manager didn't work for 7.1 and OTI sent out new CD's fixing the problem. OTI finally got all the glitches worked out with release 7.5.2.

Ver 11 won't run on my desktop Dell XP pro machine,SP3, 3GB memory, all the updates, etc. It won't even start. It installs ok but clicking on the program start icon nothing happens.

Went around and around with Etap support. Emails, phone calls, remote in to my machine. You name it, I did it. Did all the standard stuff... turned off antivirus, uninstalled - reinstalled, did a malware scan, etc., even remoted into my pc and still had no clue why it won't start.

Long story short....The support guy finally "suggested" the XP operating system is corrupt. Really?!? I told him the only problem I have is with ver 11... ver 7.5.2 runs ok along with every other program on the machine, so how can it be a windows problem?? After a over a week of frustration dealing with Etap support I finally gave up and reloaded ver 7.5.2 (which runs ok on the same xp machine).

BTW... ver 11 runs ok on my Windows 7 laptop. So it appears Etap ver 11 has an XP compatability issue. However word of warning: Projects created or converted to ver 11 from older versions are not backwards compatable. Make sure you have a backup copy saved in 7.5.2 format.

The other issue I found with ver 11 running on windows 7 was using the composite network function sometimes crashes the program. This was also report to Etap.

As far as PD's connected between two buses giving an error message... I found out that the load side and the line side buses connected to the PD has to be the same bus classification type (i.e. mcc, switchgear, panel etc.). This is something new in ver 11 which makes no sense.

Good news is ver 11 has a busway option. Bad news is it does nothing except put a bus display on the one-line. There is no data library for busway. Basically it's a do nothing fuction. Etap said it's for future releases.

My advise is stick with 7.5.2 and don't use ver 11 until Etap fixes the problems. Better yet take a look at EasyPower... I downloaded their demo. Nice program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:57 am 
Sparks Level

Update:

Etap told me they are receiving calls from other XP users that ver 11 won't run. They are working on the problem.

Now if they would fix the cable library...