It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:53 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Cleared Fault Threshold
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:15 pm 
Sparks Level

Is there any white paper from IEEE or any other reputable organization that will evaluate when the integration process of an arc flash event should be stopped? SKM software has an option called Cleared Fault Threshold which default value is 80%. If you keep this default value, SKM will stop the energy integration when 80% or more of the BOLTED FAULT current (not the arcing fault current), is interrupted. This value seems reasonable to me, but I would like to have a reliable back up to justify its use.

Thanks.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:55 am 
Arc Level

The assumption is; after the threshold is reached the remaining arcing fault current is not sufficient to maintain the arc and should not be included as accumulated incident energy. The result of this study option is that incident energy will be accumulated until either the Fault Cleared Threshold or the Maximum Protection Trip Time is reached, whichever occurs first. There are no recommendations in NFPA 70E or IEEE 1584 for determining a fault cleared threshold.

My company uses a 99% threshold with a 2 sec cut off time.
Decisions like this are why some companies feel arc flash studies should not be DIY projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:31 am 
Sparks Level

JBD:

Thanks for your answer. This is precisely why I am after some kind of backup for the assumption of the cleared fault threshold (no matter what value it is). Every engineer has a strong opinion regarding this number. The majority of them are PE with years of experience y knowledge. Our assumption is not better than other, though we justify it with passion. It is time to have a more precise guidance regarding the proper practices for performing are flash studies. I though that after years of performing arc flash hazard analysis, there was an IEEE paper that would give an institutional backup for a specific value. Have a great day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 pm 
Sparks Level

SKM's default of 80% will cut off motor decay when the main device trips. The main difference of using a higher value of 99% like JBD said would be seeing the entire decay of the motor which is not interrupted. Even at 99% it will usually only show up for the bus the motor is connected to, not at upstream buses (so your results table is not littered with motor decays).

For reference: a 100 kW LV motor gives about 0.2 cal/cm┬▓ difference between the 80% and 99% setting. It's not huge but it can make the difference between HRC 0 and HRC 1 so the hidden assumption of the default setting - no arcing from just a motor contribution - could leave you underprotected.