It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:52 am



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Maintenance Settings to Lower HRC and IE
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:13 am 
Offline
Sparks Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:08 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Cincinnat, OH
One thing that we have developed within our company are maintenance settings to lower hazards on equipment. Using PDC analysis we adjust settings, usually just instantaneous settings to the proper level to have an acceptable working level. Of course this throws coordination out of whack but we are using it solely when energized work is going to be done. Than the settings are set back after work is accomplished. My question is has any one else seen this or are practicing this? Is there any flaw in our reasoning that we are overlooking?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:41 pm 
Offline
Plasma Level

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Charlotte, NC
McFlash wrote:
One thing that we have developed within our company are maintenance settings to lower hazards on equipment. Using PDC analysis we adjust settings, usually just instantaneous settings to the proper level to have an acceptable working level. Of course this throws coordination out of whack but we are using it solely when energized work is going to be done. Than the settings are set back after work is accomplished. My question is has any one else seen this or are practicing this? Is there any flaw in our reasoning that we are overlooking?


Very common concept, but typically done using a maintenence switch, like the Quick Trip system. That way it is comtrollable, we prefer the quick trip becasue it has a padlockable switch cover. We retrofit breakers with these systems all the time.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:02 pm 
Offline
Plasma Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 711
Location: Rutland, VT
Ditto to what Zog says. Without a specifically dedicated maintenance switch that will implement the maintenance trip settings, you have to have a strong policy/procedure/controls to insure that the settings are returned to the proper settings for coordination.

_________________
Barry Donovan, P.E.
www.workplacesafetysolutions.com


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:53 pm 
Offline
Plasma Level

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Charlotte, NC
wbd wrote:
Ditto to what Zog says. Without a specifically dedicated maintenance switch that will implement the maintenance trip settings, you have to have a strong policy/procedure/controls to insure that the settings are returned to the proper settings for coordination.


I fthey dont get returned to the right settings, and it will eventually happen, and the plant trips off line because of it, well you know, let the blame game begin!


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:39 pm 
Offline
Sparks Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:08 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Cincinnat, OH
Any links to manufacturers of the quick trip system your are referring to??

Thanks for the comments too.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:24 pm 
Offline
Plasma Level

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Charlotte, NC
McFlash wrote:
Any links to manufacturers of the quick trip system your are referring to??

Thanks for the comments too.


http://www.utilityrelay.com


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:05 am
Posts: 7
Depending on your breaker type, needs and your budget, in addition to many retrofit kit companies, many of the manufacturers offer some type 'Maintenance Trip" or "Arc Safe" kind of system.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
© 2017 Arcflash Forum / Brainfiller, Inc. | P.O. Box 12024 | Scottsdale, AZ 85267 USA | 800-874-8883