It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:54 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Flash Tables Unlimited OPEN SOURCED!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:31 pm 

Flash Tables Unlimited (www.arcflashtables.com) has been open sourced! I have reverse engineered the IEEE 1584 equations to NEC and manufacturing standards and developed tables to do one-easy-step labeling on the spot. Instead of data collection, plus an engineering study and then another walkdown for labeling per IEEE, you can simply walk to the field as an engineer or electrician and apply the labels (pre-ordered custom labels or using a portable labeling machine). I want to share my IP with the arc flash community for additional collaboration and improvement. Right now, the tables are being utilized and small modifications being made. Also, the tables have been used during the FEED, pre-design phase to estimate arc flash so decisions can be made upfront about design to include safety of personnel (we've done this with a customer already). I will be at the IEEE IAS Electrical Safety Conference presenting on arc flash at the poster presentation on Thursday night. If you are there, feel free to make contact with me. I will have the tables available for viewing and input for improvement and business cards. Feel free to contact me and I will forward you the validation and tables for your review, collaboration as well.
Bests,
Michelle Murphy

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Flash Tables Unlimited OPEN SOURCED!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:59 am 
Sparks Level

How can that possibly work?
I MUST be missing something.
Labels already printed, before any data collection?
I have never been to a facility were the people on site knew what their fault currents really were, at any point except perhaps the main.
So you reverse engineered that equations to the NEC?
WHICH NEC?
The one in effect when the building was built in the 20s,
The one in effect in the 60s when most (but not all) of the HVAC and Water system was converted from DC distrubution to AC?
The one in effect in the 80s when the 5th main switchboard was installed?
The one in effect in the 90s when the Generator was added
The one in effect in the last few years when the 5th floor was turned into a "data center"?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:19 pm 

It is applicable to most variations of the NEC and will work with older ones. The NEC states how to size a breaker based on the load or bus size. Our breakers meet that criteria, but are bounding and stated in the tables. Also, for fault current, we generated incident energy for 250kA source and for lower values (3 x the transformer upstream's rating). We just utilized our tables on a project with 160 points and came out with the same results as the usual method. This is comforting to know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:53 pm 
Plasma Level

Clicking on the link for download takes me to a page with 3 entries, "contribute", "feedback", and "collaborate". "Contribute" takes me to another page with nothing else on it other than some text. The other two buttons lead to opening my E-mail client. I tried other links and came up short.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:17 pm 

Yes, sorry it was not more clear. I added a button to the bottom. The last paragraph states to email me and I will dropbox you the tables/validation. Go ahead back to the website and click on DOWNLOAD at the bottom, and email me a request. Drop your company name and phone number, please as well, so I can follow-up. I'd like to get feedback, etc.

Thanks,

Michelle Murphy
michelle@arcflashtables.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:05 pm 

product is no longer open sourced.