It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Labeling for disconnects less than 240V
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:26 pm 

I have a client that has requested I make labels for their new A/C disconnects. Their safety director requires all electrical equipment to have Arc flash labels. Since it`s a pretty big corporation their safety policies are pretty stringent. The A/C units are fed from either a 800A or 1200A 208V MSB panel that is fed directly from utility w/ 11293kVAsc and 881kVAsc respectively. Do I have to do an updated analysis (I did an analysis a couple years ago) or can I furnish them labels that spell out the PPE requirements. If there were to ever be an incident their is always a CYA factor that myself and my company have to be concerned with so I have to make sure I am NFPA compliant. I am not very familiar with the 2015 so I`m not sure if there as been any changes concerning 240V or less labeling requiremets. As far as I know the only time the covers are open while live is for thermal inspections. So would I list PPE related just to testing or do I do an updated analysis with actual values and calculated PPE level on the labels?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Labeling for disconnects less than 240V
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:33 am 
Plasma Level

Since the existing labels are the result of a study I assume that you are updating the study to determine the IE at the new equipment. I don't see how you can furnish labels that spell out the PPE without doing the analysis. If you are thinking of using the tables you still have to do some analysis to determine if the parameters for fault current AND clearing time are met. If you are doing that in a commercial software program it is not much more to determine the IE.

For the IR scans, the cover has to opened so for typically the working distance is 18" for your voltage and that is what should be on the label. You may provide other working distances in a report so the IR tech can wear the correct PPE for his working distance.

NFPA 70E-2015 label requirement is that the label contains this information as a minimum:
1. Nominal system voltage
2. Arc Flash Boundary
3. At least one of the following:
a. Available incident energy and the corresponding working distance or the arc flash PPE category in Table 130.7(C)(15)(A) or Table 130.7(C)(15)(B) but not both
b. Minimum arc rating of clothing
c. Site-specific level of PPE

There is an Exception that states Labels applied prior to September 30, 2011 are acceptable if they contain the available incident energy or required level of PPE.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:54 am 

I appreciate the response. For one of the three options to be met I do see that you would need to run an analysis but I am not sure what 'Site specific PPE' means and whether it would require an analysis. What I was curious about is whether I could give the client the option of generic labels based on NFPA 70E 130.7 table (c) (15) (c) or whether paying for an updated analysis was the only way they would be compliant. They are a good long time customer and they asked me if an updated analysis was their only option. So I told them I would pose the question to the people with the most experience and knowledge in the business.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:29 pm 
Plasma Level

Site Specific PPE is where a company has set up a system for PPE categories. For example, they may have categories such as:
Cat A - no arc flash hazard, 100% cotton, safety glasses, etc
Cat B - AR PPE with a minimum rating of 12 cal/cm2
Cat C - AR PPE with a minimum rating of 40 cal/cm2
Cat D - No energized work

I could not find the table you reference in NFPA 70E so I assume it was typed wrong. Regardless, if you are using the tables to generate the labels, you are responsible for insuring that the equipment being labeled meets the parameters of the table. Therefore, for example, for labeling a disconnect switch, you would have to know that the fault current at that disconnect switch is less than 25kA and the maximum clearing time is 2 cycles.

How old is the study? Is it time to update?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:36 pm 

Thank you wbd. It should have been table 130.7 (C) (15) (a). Your information has been very helpful. It`s good to know there are people like your self willing to take time from their day to share their knowledge and experience.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:55 am 
Sparks Level

I assume you're an outside contractor, so I'd do the work of adding the AC units with analysis. You certainly don't want to be a witness answering that you were just trying to save your client a few dollars and didn't do the full analysis. That won't wash with a jury or your insurance company. Just do the study - you'll sleep better knowing you did the right thing. I wonder, are you assuming your client doesn't want to spend the extra dollars for you to do the study? May be you should ask.