It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Does the MCC incomming section have proper segregation?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 am 
Sparks Level

IEEE 1584.1 proposes that proper segregation should be checked between the section containing the main OCPD and the adjacent sections.

I had a conversation with a customer today who desires me to affix two labels for an MCC. One with the label of the AFIE at the line side of the main OCPD and one with the AFIE at the load side of the main OCPD.

The MCC's are not tested for proper segregation and they have metal barriers between different sections.

Question:

Do MCC manufacturers guarantee proper segregation of line side section with the adjacent load side section for non-arc resistant MCC's?

If not, do you feel comfortable that the arc flash energy generated on the line side section will not propagate and invade the adjacent load side section? That the adjacent load side section will withstand the blast?

I had the argument that ALL NFPA 70E committee members agree that is safe to place two labels in MCC's. Do you agree with that?

I was also told that all the main and most respectable engineering companies performing arc flash studies provide two labels, line side and load side. Do you think this is true?

I was told that anybody that requires only line side labels (without providing load side labels) is against the industry standard and imposing an unreasonable restriction to the customer. Is that what you think?

Now, I am concerned about his issue, because I am only placing arc flash labels in the line side of any equipment (including MCC's) unles they are tested by the manufacturer and the manufacturer guarantees in writing the proper segregation.

Your answers will make me change my standard policy if it is shown good evidence that what I am doing is not right.

I have being wrong many times before.

Have a great day!

Thanks so much for all your answers.

RECS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Does the MCC incomming section have proper segregation?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:08 am 
Plasma Level

The software produces labels for either condition. How it gets treated is a human decision (assumption).

Profile Send private message