It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:20 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Query on IA (internal arc) classified board
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:22 pm 

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and the topic of arc flash as well. The query I have is if a board is IAC rated for 25kA, 1sec, would the board be treated as being able to perform its (arc withstand) function adequately in the following circumstances?

a. Arc fault with lower current but higher duration than what the board is classified for - for example 15kA, 2 sec
b. Arc fault with higher current but lower duration than what the board is classified for - for example 30kA, 0.5sec

If the answer to any of the above questions is a yes, I would be keen to understand how the situation is assessed and if there is/are any reference paper/s discussing the topic? From my limited knowledge, I think it is not a matter of simply comparing the incident energy (i.e. if the incident energy calculated for an arc fault is lower than the incident energy calculated from the board IAC rating then all is good). I would be keen to have your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

Profile Send private message