It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:16 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Why do they say no labels?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:42 am 

At our plant the company has come up with work plan using the tables in 70e
[ which we most likely can't use anyway] and along with not working hot. We are able to work at a hrc 2* level and no higher . They want us to work using the task tables anything after that they use outside help. I admit i don't know much about 70e and I am trying to get company to get outside training in that area. They insist they don't have to label because we already know according to the tables listed we work at hrc 2* .
IT is hard to debate with them on labeling if we dress for 2* work , once we test and turn off power we work using standard ppe. I know we are missing something there but don't know what.
Does someone have anything i can use to dispute their method ?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:46 am 
Plasma Level

PUCKMAN wrote:
At our plant the company has come up with work plan using the tables in 70e
[ which we most likely can't use anyway] and along with not working hot. We are able to work at a hrc 2* level and no higher . They want us to work using the task tables anything after that they use outside help. I admit i don't know much about 70e and I am trying to get company to get outside training in that area. They insist they don't have to label because we already know according to the tables listed we work at hrc 2* .
IT is hard to debate with them on labeling if we dress for 2* work , once we test and turn off power we work using standard ppe. I know we are missing something there but don't know what.
Does someone have anything i can use to dispute their method ?

NEC requires labels, but just says it needs to say there is an arc flash hazard.

130.3(C) in the 2009 70E requires the labels to either list the HRC or the Ei.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:37 am 
Sparks Level

Has anyone determined by calculation, the available fault current at each location and the operating times of the OCP. Both these values need to be determined and must fall within the notes at the bottom of Table 130.7(c)(9) in order to use the tables to perform work or to test for absence of potential prior to performing work in an electrically safe work condition, otherwise a complete arc flash evaluation must be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:49 pm 
Sparks Level

Puckman,
The end result for safety is to protect you. You can get free viewing of NFPA 70E by going to [url="http://https://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_agreement.asp?id=70E09"]"http://https://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_agreement.asp?id=70E09"[/url] remember that knowledge not provided by your organization is knowledge you can use for your safety.

In my opinion, our government works under the assumption that with the base standards or guidelines industry will try to do the right thing on their own.

That does not always occur does it? So, some industries may ignore electrical safety or safety altogether. Because the governing rules do not directly say you must use arc flash labels per NFPA 70E. Therefore, most likely the expense will be overlooked.

Ultimately, you can fuss about your organizations program but if your organization decides to go another direction, you may be stuck until management sees value in providing you extra protection or training.

I get the opinion that some companies want to hide you from NFPA 70E standards. Why? Several reasons but I’ll stop because I could right a book on it.

The problem arises only for your organization when something happens that involves OSHA (here in the US) and inspections find violations. Not all but some companies would take their chances.

Just my opinion.