It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:08 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Overprotective PPE
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:09 am 

Hi veryone!

I would like to ask you if there's any specification/standard that give any recommendation about not to use an overprotective PPE.

What I want to know is that if there's any standard that recommend not to use a 40 Cal/cm2 PPE when the calculated IE is less, for example 12 Cal/cm2.

Thank you and sorry for my bad english

Juan

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Overprotective PPE
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:41 pm 
Plasma Level

as far as I know there is no standard or requirement that would limit the PPE on an upper limit. As long as you are wearing PPE that meets or exceeds the incident energy level, you are fine. Granted it is more comfortable to wear PPE that is lighter, that is not a requirement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:53 am 

I would just throw out there that wearing PPE above what is required can SOMETIMES increase the probability of the hazard occurring. As always, use good judgement.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:24 am 
Sparks Level

Living in Europe, we are governed by standards (directives) that are based upon risk assessment and are definitely non prescriptive. Issues of use of PPE, which must be part of the risk assessment process, must include ergonomics, sensory deprivation of user, continuing integrity of PPE and other injury mechanisms, including reductions of levels of hearing and vison. Heat stress is a particular concern with heavy arc flash PPE as it may lead to fatigue at best and could lead to poor decision making, not a good thing when working near live conductors. It's a reason to ensure that the risk assessment process is followed rigorously with the avoidance of over specified PPE. In addition, the directive on PPE (in Europe) says that health of the worker must be taken into account, bearing in mind that arc flash PPE will usually result in some restriction. There may therefore be some physical and even psychological issues to take into account.

All this is dependant upon the length of time that the person has to wear the PPE, the environment and the task. I would therefore agree with Mike's point about PPE sometimes increasing probability. So my view, (nothing else) is that I would be careful about over prescribing PPE. It is a big leap from 12 cal/cm2 to 40 cal/cm2 that could impact on the issues above

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:41 am 
Sparks Level

I do not know if anyone on the forum has tried the new 40 cal lift-hood. I will never again us the 12 cal shield/head sock. The 40 cal lift-hood has multiple benefits in a 40 cal application over the legacy hoods, however, I find it more comfortable and less intrusive than the 12 cal shield/head sock.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:52 am 

Thank you all for your valuable opinions.

Best regards,

Juan