It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:22 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Arc rated face shields / hoods for 120v?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:34 am 

I've been tasked with updating my company's live electrical safety program. Hasn't been done thoroughly since '08. For the longest time it appears we've been operating pretty much on this basis:
in panels 240v and below use arc rated gloves, long sleeve, eye protection, hard hat, non melting pants, leather work boots.
If over 240, arc rated face shield, rubber gloves with leather protectors, FR coveralls or jacket, and everything mentioned above

This seems to be fairly outdated, but still I was looking at the 2018 and 2021 70E and if using the PPE selection method, it appears (to my chagrin) that 240v and below work now requires a arc rated face shield or arc flash hood. This seems a bit preposterous. Let me also add that I am not an engineer at all. I have much more history DOING electrical work than writing safety programs. This literature seems to indicate that for me to pop in a 120v breaker I need to be in full body armor. Can anyone clarify this for me - or - if this is in fact the case, can someone recommend an alternative to these absurd LAUGHABLE rules written by the uncaloused hands of ivory tower busybodies.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Arc rated face shields / hoods for 120v?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:53 am 
Plasma Level

The tables in NFPA 70E are conservative. Your facility may benefit by having a study done to determine the actual incident energy values for equipment in your facility. You may find that the IE is much less than the table method would indicate and therefore less PPE is needed.

Remember that to use the tables you need to be within the stated parameters for fault current and clearing time. How do you know those if a study has not been done? Which leads back to the first paragraph here.

Post subject: Re: Arc rated face shields / hoods for 120v?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:09 am 

To dovetail in with Barry's comments: the selection of PPE via the tables is a risk based analysis. That's why it may be a more conservative approach. As already mentioned, you also have to fit into the "box" of stipulations the tables require.

Mike

PS I hate the tables. :x