It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:55 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Underlayers - style and stitching
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:59 pm 

NFPA-70E 130.7 (C)(12) (a) Layering.
Nonmelting, flammable fiber garments shall be permitted to be used as underlayers in conjunction with FR clothing in a layered system for added protection.

Typically the inner layer is considered to be cotton t-shirt and briefs/shorts. Our shop and the engineering group spend more time doing non-70e work than they do in the PPE. What we've done is issue normal colored t-shirts that can be worn for normal work, and then we put on the rated shirt over that. We're using properly rated pants as the rest of the "uniform" This lets us meet the proper 70e PPE requirements when needed.

I have two questions about this.
1. Can the t-shirts worn as the inner layer have a name or company logo embroidered? (no silkscreening) If yes, does the stitching need to be cotton?
2. Can the t-shirt that is the inner layer be replaced by a cotton polo shirt? I have the same question about embroidering. What about the buttons on the polo shirt?

Thanks,

Ed

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:40 pm 
Arc Level

If the logo is made from a different color cotton thread then its ok.

A polo shirt if its all cotton or denim is okay as long as its long sleeve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:48 am 
Sparks Level

Haze,

Where does it say the tee shirt must be long sleeve?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:24 am 
Sparks Level

I agree with Acobb, no requirement for long sleeves, unless you are using the polo shirt as your Cat 0 protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:52 am 
Sparks Level

I wear FR coveralls over cotton short sleeve polo shirts in the summer and over cotton long sleeve button down shirts in the winter.

My shirts have no logos on them, but just out of curiosity...what does the different color thread affect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 pm 
Sparks Level

I figured it just allowed you to see it.....otherwise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:55 pm 

As the others have said either a nonmelting tee shirt or polo shirt would be Ok according to 70E. The embroidery is also OK but should also be nonmelting. A key to remember is the FR layer needs to be rated high enough to avoid breakopen at the expected arc exposure incident energy level and the FR layer needs to completely cover the flammable clothing. In the case of the polo you will need to be careful of the collar being exposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:19 pm 

msaner@workrite.com wrote:
As the others have said either a nonmelting tee shirt or polo shirt would be Ok according to 70E. The embroidery is also OK but should also be nonmelting. A key to remember is the FR layer needs to be rated high enough to avoid breakopen at the expected arc exposure incident energy level and the FR layer needs to completely cover the flammable clothing. In the case of the polo you will need to be careful of the collar being exposed.

Good pointer about the polo collar. I thought that the non-melting thread would be OK, but was worried about the buttons on the polo shirt, usually 2 or 3 of them. We are agreed that the buttons are not a problem?

Thanks!