It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:29 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: PPE to cumbersome
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:32 pm 

Part of my job is to write procedures for vendors that perform work on their equipment. This prevents incorrect actions and unplanned events.

I have placed NFPA 70E verbage into the procedures and i ocasionally get the complaint that "this equipment will not facilitate me troubleshooting it with all that gear on. This equipment was designed before that standard and I have to troubleshoot it with long sleeves and safety glasses."

Some of the equipment has a hazard risk catagory of 3 or 4 and the technicians are checking communications and controls but they are within the boundary of the 480 volt hazard.

What have you been doing in these instances?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:32 am 
Plasma Level

Data Center Electrician wrote:
Part of my job is to write procedures for vendors that perform work on their equipment. This prevents incorrect actions and unplanned events.

I have placed NFPA 70E verbage into the procedures and i ocasionally get the complaint that "this equipment will not facilitate me troubleshooting it with all that gear on. This equipment was designed before that standard and I have to troubleshoot it with long sleeves and safety glasses."

Some of the equipment has a hazard risk catagory of 3 or 4 and the technicians are checking communications and controls but they are within the boundary of the 480 volt hazard.

What have you been doing in these instances?

You are correct and they have to follow your procedures. And if something happens to a contractor on your facility you can be help liable, recently happened to IBM. I recommend using this pre-qual sheet for your vendors.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message