It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:04 am



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
ekstra   ara
 Post subject: What to wear?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 35
Location: Charlotte, NC
I have a customer that works with both battery acid and high voltage. Any suggestions as to what they should wear?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:38 am 
Offline
Plasma Level

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Charlotte, NC
Allison White wrote:
I have a customer that works with both battery acid and high voltage. Any suggestions as to what they should wear?


Are you asking about arc flash PPE or all PPE for battery work? Also, high voltage is defined as 69,001V-230,000V by IEEE, is this what you mean by high voltage? I am assuming not.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 35
Location: Charlotte, NC
[quote="Zog"]Are you asking about arc flash PPE or all PPE for battery work? Also, high voltage is defined as 69,001V-230,000V by IEEE, is this what you mean by high voltage? I am assuming not.[/

When I say high voltage they have requirements for HRC 2-4 daily. At the same time they also need protection from the battery acid.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:42 am
Posts: 35
Location: Bowling Green, KY
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]We have a battery room for switching our feeders. The power is 125 VDC. Our people are required to wear voltage appropriate PPE and a rubber apron, face shield, and rubber gloves when servicing the batteries.[/size][/font]


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 35
Location: Charlotte, NC
ChevsMark wrote:
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]We have a battery room for switching our feeders. The power is 125 VDC. Our people are required to wear voltage appropriate PPE and a rubber apron, face shield, and rubber gloves when servicing the batteries.[/size][/font]


Thank you Chev


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:19 am 
Offline
Plasma Level

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Charlotte, NC
Allison White wrote:
When I say high voltage they have requirements for HRC 2-4 daily. At the same time they also need protection from the battery acid.


Sorry I missed your reply. Most FR garments are chemically treated cotton, and will nto hold up well to chemical exposure like H2SO4. You want to look at garments like Nomex IIIA or PBI.

The guy you want to ask is Hugh, I know he has done some testing in this area and I think he wrote a paper on it.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 35
Location: Charlotte, NC
Zog wrote:
Sorry I missed your reply. Most FR garments are chemically treated cotton, and will nto hold up well to chemical exposure like H2SO4. You want to look at garments like Nomex IIIA or PBI.

The guy you want to ask is Hugh, I know he has done some testing in this area and I think he wrote a paper on it.


Wonderful, thank you Zog, this helps a ton!


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:44 pm 
Offline
Sparks Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:00 pm
Posts: 259
Location: Louisville, KY
Battery Room Arc Flash PPE

I recommend several options for acid protection and acid resistance.

IF you have a risk of battery acid exposure, arc rated rainwear is the best option. Some companies sell them as aprons too.

For normal clothing that doesn't have big issues with the acid destroying it, I recommend the following:

Glenguard
or other Kermel blends (without Lenzing or natural fibers)
Most TecgenFR materials (check on the blend)
Nomex blends (without Lenzing)
PBI/Kevlar Blends (without Lenzing or natural fibers)
Kevlar
Twaron & Twaron blends (without Lenzing or natural fibers)
Modacrylic blends with no natural fibers
Protera (without Lenzing or natural fibers)
Most CarbonX materials (without Lenzing or natural fibers)

The fabrics above are NOT protective other than the rainwear materials but they have good to excellent acid resistance and are inherently flame resistant, arc-rated materials.

ArcWear and e-Hazard does not sell materials or garments, we just do training and testing. Hope this helps. Call if I can be of more assistance.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
© 2017 Arcflash Forum / Brainfiller, Inc. | P.O. Box 12024 | Scottsdale, AZ 85267 USA | 800-874-8883