It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:55 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: 400HZ Systems
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:11 am 

Hello All: It has been a while since I posted on here but I often use the forums to answer a lot of questions that I may have. But I have not been able to find the answer to PPE requirements for 400HZ systems. Now I remember that when I was in the Navy (aviation electrician) all we worked with was 400HZ systems and we NEVER wore any type of PPE for shock. Now from what I have found thus far is that due to the type and magnitude of energy that we are working with (208VAC 400HZ) arch flash is not really much of a concern, but shock may be. Now I know that it doesn't mean anything other than the fact that I am lucky, but I have been shocked about a 1,000 times with 400HZ power and though it would sting for a second, it didn't really cause any damage. Now i'm not advocating that there is no danger or hazard to 400HZ, but I really want to make the right decision for my people when deciding on the safety practices for this type of energy.

Now I just switched to a different section of our DoD contract to take over as the ES&H Manager and I am more used to 60HZ facility power. The last guy (got fired) really messed these people up by implimenting so many programs and PPE requirements without even understanding the task or the hazards. When he found out that the electrical safety gloves we did have on site (used for discharging caps) were not being regularly inspected every six months, he took them all away. So now our people don't have any protection at all. We would need at least two pair of gloves per person (50 employees) which would result in a lot of money and then we would have to have them inspected by a lab. I wanted to consult with the experts first before proposing anything.

Thanks guys, I'm sure that you guys will have some great responses.

Brian

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:23 am 

I should probably add that the employees that we have do not "handle" live conductors but merely read for power when troubleshooting.

Profile Send private message