It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:55 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Voltage gloves and Voltage Vision
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:38 pm 

We have been looking at some non-contact voltage indicators (Voltage Vision). In there instructions they clearly state that their product is a supplement, not a substitute, for establishing electrically safe work conditions. They go on to say that the electrician should replicate a zero voltage reading with his voltmeter.

So do I need to wear Voltage gloves and the suit (on a cat 3 and above) when taking this reading?

The whole point of even looking at installing the voltage indicator is to get away from having to put on the suit. If I have to put the suit on anyway what does this LED thing do? it seems to me that it might prevent someone from using a meter to check. they might think " the last 100 times I checked voltage there was nothing there so why check it this time. No one is looking!"

I am wondering what is the differance between the LED on the VI and my meter? If the lights were on before I pulled the disconnect and now they are off do I need to suit up to verify that there is no voltage?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:53 pm 
Plasma Level

I don't see the point of those devices, they sure do not meet the 70E requirements for a safe working condition. A sales guy for these posted a pitch a while back and never responded to our questions.

http://arcflashforum.com/showthread.php?t=1730&highlight=volt

Profile Send private message