It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:12 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Personal Prot. Equipment Radio Frequency ID?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:52 am 
Sparks Level

I just heard via grapevine, of PPE with RFID embedded in garment(s). Electrical gear includes RFID reader, will only allow entry if correct PPE is in vicinity.

I can see RFID embedded in PPE as possible, do any garment suppliers have experience with RFID?

Just as I have an RFID tag for door entry, RFID key garments to electrical enclosures. Comments?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:09 am 

I think trained, conscientious workers are better than RFID. Trained electricians know what they are supposed to wear. If someone doesn't wear it, it is because they are consciously taking a short cut. So, if that is what they want to do, they will lay the PPE beside the switchgear and proceed. Also, you can't engineer away stupid. What if someone wears the coat but not the pants or leggings, etc. We will need a good mechanical override for when that RFID lock stops working, and I suppose laundering instructions need to be followed very closely, as they should anyway for arc flash PPE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:07 am 

I have experience with RFID's. We used them with industrial laundry facilities. The application was that the RFID's would be used to track the number of garments coming in and out of the facility, ensuring each employee recieved the proper amount of garments back that they had turned in. The RFIDs initially worked well but eventually would malfunction or fall out of the garment. In my personal opinion they were a huge waste of money.