It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:47 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: throwing some idea on face protection
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:01 pm 

just a question first is the baclava mandatory now in the hrc 2 ppe
or arc flash hood ??

because for doing small delay jobs i don't complain but since i have to wear it all day long when i do infrared inspection

i'm almost thinking of using a welder type helmet like that with some modification

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtNxfXLXMXEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

like the 905 sg but instead of a welder visor just a green visor,
so i would have a green and a white lense
and when out of fault source i could open both visor

i'm sure it would be more confortable than wearing a baclava and easier than puting,removing the hood all the time

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:39 am 
Sparks Level

moreause wrote:
just a question first is the baclava mandatory now in the hrc 2 ppe
or arc flash hood ??

because for doing small delay jobs i don't complain but since i have to wear it all day long when i do infrared inspection

i'm almost thinking of using a welder type helmet like that with some modification

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtNxfXLXMXEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

like the 905 sg but instead of a welder visor just a green visor,
so i would have a green and a white lense
and when out of fault source i could open both visor

i'm sure it would be more confortable than wearing a baclava and easier than puting,removing the hood all the time

You must wear the head sock in HRC2, in addition, if you do calculations and you exceed 1.2 cal/sq cm you must also wear a head sock. If you use the 12 cal/sq cm Indura Ultrasoft knit head sock, it is not that bad.

A secondary issue, in general, a thermagrapher starts with the large (ampacity) circuits. If you review the task table limitation in kA cycles you are going to find that in many cases you cannot use the task tables for large circuits, calculations are required. The answer is to have the facilitiy install the IR viewing ports on that equipment where the tables cannot be used. Fluke just brought out an indoor viewing port, the cost is approx $200. I just installed some, it takes about 15 minutes max per port. The Fluke part # is
[SIZE=3]FLK-075-CLV.[/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:41 am 
Sparks Level

The helmet you showed is an idea whose time has come but these are NOT rated at this time.

What hasn't been mentioned is that you can wear an arc flash suit hood. The definition (from my proposal to the committee) has been expanded to 360 protection without giving prejudice to specific designs.

Two excellent types of products could meet your requirements:
1. A lightweight arc flash balaclava. Several are out there which are quite comfortable (Indura, Nomex, Drifire, CarbonX, Kermel Lenzing, Nomex Lenzing, PBI/Kevlar)
2. A hood with a fan: Steelgrip, NSA, Stanco, Salisbury etc. You can get a 20 cal hood which is similar to the 3M product you provided the link to. The 3M hood has not been arc rated to my knowledge but could possibly work but it would cut out all perpherial vision when fully closed.

There are some very comfortable faceshields to wear out on the market now and I tested a new one last week which builds in the balaclava up to 20 cal protection. It is similar to the 3M product but not on the market yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:25 pm 

flash like you said... head sock, it is not that bad....but for me not that bad is not good enough
some co worker complained about that point in my attitute lol

i will tell you a life story about that...at the beginning of arc flash safety my employer was offering arc flash coverall's, and i said i want pants and shirts because i can't be lazy at the point of come to work in underwear, so will be protected all the time
and finally a proof to my discussion happened...in another office after in IR days the employee removed is cover all, and the customer pops up hey i can't close a door could you check...he just went in unprotected and boum

for the fluke window thank's for the link but i currently work for the iriss distributor for east of canada

and elihuiv could you be more specific on these

2. A hood with a fan: Steelgrip, NSA, Stanco, Salisbury etc. You can get a 20 cal hood which is similar to the 3M product you provided the link to

for this point i was thinking maybe retrofiting a standard shield in the front instead of the welding screen
The 3M hood has not been arc rated to my knowledge but could possibly work but it would cut out all perpherial vision when fully closed.

and could you tell me who to nag to get one, if it's on the verge of existing instead of building one on my own

I tested a new one last week which builds in the balaclava up to 20 cal protection. It is similar to the 3M product but not on the market yet

for the part.. but these are NOT rated at this time.. i care a bit but not that much...if you have something better in mind and get stopped by approving facility...we would still be running around with horses, i would not say the same for level 4, but level 2 before we had just a shield and i no offer 360 protection and double face shield...approved or not i don't have to think twice