It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:51 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Glove testing.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:34 am 

I work for a retail chain, in house, performing service. We have several tech in the various locations doing similar service. We are geared up, trained and on board with 70E. Because of the logistics of coordinating glove testing, we each purchase new gloves as the date stamped on the gloves expires.

The problem is that when we purchase the new gloves, they are stamped with a date sooner than 6 months. The supplier insist that the gloves are good for a "full year" from that date, without testing. Problem is that they can only quote the "manufacture", nothing from 70E or OSHA.

Is the supplier correct and is there a ruling from OSHA that might give us some guidance on this matter?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:53 am 
Sparks Level

Wm Butt wrote:
The problem is that when we purchase the new gloves, they are stamped with a date sooner than 6 months. The supplier insist that the gloves are good for a "full year" from that date, without testing. Problem is that they can only quote the "manufacture", nothing from 70E or OSHA.

From CSA Z462-12 Table 2, Rubber insulating equipment test intervals (my NFPA 70E is just out of reach right now, but I'm sure it has similar wording if not the exact same words):
"If the insulating equipment has been electrically tested but not issued for service, it shall not be put into service unless it has been tested within the previous 12 months."
Now, I hope your supplier doesn't sell you gloves which have been put into service before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:54 am 
Sparks Level

Quote:
"If the insulating equipment has been electrically tested but not issued for service, it shall not be put into service unless it has been tested within the previous 12 months."

This information can also be found in OSHA 1910.137 Table I-6 Footnote (1).
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9787

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:29 am 
Sparks Level

As per ASTM rubber insulating gloves must be retested every 6 months. The test date stamped must be current to within the last 6 months. If the rubbers insulating gloves have been tested and stored, they can be put into service if the date is within the last 12 months, BUT then you have to track the in service date vs the older test date.

The supplier should not have tested rubber insulating gloves on the shelf, they should send them out for test after you buy them and then they are sent to you.

Make sure you take control of the testing as the employer.

Regards;
Terry Becker, P.Eng.
ESPS Electrical Safety Program Solutions INC.
See my LinkedIn Profile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:34 am 

Wm Butt wrote:
I work for a retail chain, in house, performing service. We have several tech in the various locations doing similar service. We are geared up, trained and on board with 70E. Because of the logistics of coordinating glove testing, we each purchase new gloves as the date stamped on the gloves expires.

Is the supplier correct and is there a ruling from OSHA that might give us some guidance on this matter?

Good Morning;
There is a lot of confusion about the test dating of rubber insulating gloves. The references to 12 month shelf life has to do with the ASTM D120 standard for new rubber gloves and sleeves. This standard is used by the manufacturer and down stream distribution to put a limit on the amount of time that NEW gloves and sleeves can be stored for sale (prior to being purchased by the user or placed into service for the first time). As soon as the gloves are sold, they are considered IN-SERVICE, and then fall into the ASTM D496-(08), Standard Specification for IN-Service Care of Insulating Gloves and Sleeves. This standard establishes the date shown on the glove as having to be no more than six months old when in use. The purchaser has the option of accepting the original, mandated acceptance test that the manufacturer performed prior the gloves shipping from their facility as long as the gloves are less than 12 months of age since the original acceptance test was performed, or they can remove all prior dates and write in their DATE OF ISSUE of the NEW gloves into the workplace. This first date of issue covers the first six months of use (keep your bill of sale in your safety maual for OSHA reference if needed).The advantages of buying your gloves with a new glove acceptance test are: This is a 3 minute test at full voltage. a base reading of the leakage level (ma) is recorded. Yes, gloves can fail for high leakage, not just electrical puncture. A written test record is provided to document your record keeping. If gloves or sleeves fail their acceptance test, the items are covered under factory warranty for full replacement, thereby insuring that you start with a known, good new set of gloves. Your new gloves are given a unique serial number that will aid in tracking their life and issue history. The manufacturer does not perform secondary acceptance testing. This testing is performed by customers that have their own testlabs or by thier designated testing facility. In-service gloves are considered used as soon as they are purchased with no warranty expressed or implied. We DO have failures during acceptance testing, usually between .1% and 1% of our total test load. Given the thousands of gloves sold each year, that puts new gloves out in the system that have inherent weaknesses. In-service re-testing costs far less that the cost of new gloves and look at all the benefits you get with setting up a relationship with a testing facility. What you are getting from your supplier is a very sloppy excuse for their lack of inventory control and mis-information. OSHA will site for gloves and sleeves that have a test date more than six months old on them. I hope this helps.
Sincerely, Jerry Raney, Rocky Mtn. Testing Services, Inc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:55 pm 
Plasma Level

I know at least one testing shop will sell you new gloves that are tested just before they ship them. It is often the case with "00" and "0" gloves that the cost of new+testing is not worth the cost of shipping the old gloves back for retesting so if you are doing strictly 600 V or less work then you may want to contact one of the glove testing outfits and just buy your gloves through them. I do not currently use them but I know that Burlington Labs will do this. There was another one in Tennessee whose name escapes me that also did this. At class 2's and higher though gloves are definitely not disposable any more.