It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:49 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Arc flash-rated badge lanyards?
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:31 am 

Our plant's standard issue breakaway lanyards have metal alligator clips, snaps, etc. so they can present a shock hazard. Has anyone identified an arc flash-rated badge lanyard that is commercially available?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:43 am 
Arc Level

How does it represent a shock hazard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:35 am 

Qualified personnel cannot wear conductive material within an electrical hazard boundary, and I realized this should include my badge lanyard or clip.

I know there are arc flash-rated fall protection lanyards, is there such a thing for badge holders?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:16 pm 
Arc Level

garyc wrote:
Qualified personnel cannot wear conductive material within an electrical hazard boundary, and I realized this should include my badge lanyard or clip.

This must be a company policy as it is not worded this way in NFPA70E.

For example, 130.3(B)(1) allows for safe work practices, such as 'clipping' the lanyard to your clothing so that it does not swing into a restricted approach boundary as outlined in 130.4(C) (i.e. 1ft @ 480V). If your lanyard regularly swings 1 ft away from your body it probably interferes with your work regardless of the shock potential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:22 pm 

I use a company called Snugz. They offer 100% cotton lanyards with plastic bulldog clips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:09 pm 

Thanks Allison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:28 am 
Sparks Level

100% cotton will still burn. Chums has a Kevlar lanyard with plastic clips. I have arc tested them. They do not ignite, melt or drip to 40 cal. I do not work for Chums but did the test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:18 am 

This brings up a point that I have questioned since reading the rules.
I wear a non-conductive wedding ring and we are not allowed to wear watches in our facility, but, if I were to be wearing my origial white gold ring and a watch, these are both covered by my Class 0 gloves when I am within the restricted approach distance. How does that pose a hazard? If it is going to get that close to touch either the ring or the watch, or badge in this case, I am WAY too close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:13 am 
Sparks Level

MIControl wrote:
This brings up a point that I have questioned since reading the rules.
I wear a non-conductive wedding ring and we are not allowed to wear watches in our facility, but, if I were to be wearing my origial white gold ring and a watch, these are both covered by my Class 0 gloves when I am within the restricted approach distance. How does that pose a hazard? If it is going to get that close to touch either the ring or the watch, or badge in this case, I am WAY too close.

The standard does not allow you to wear a ring or a watch in the 2009 version forward. The watch can fall off and the ring will cause gloves to wear out faster (I'm not a fan of the ring part since it isn't always practical. I've never seen a non-conductive wedding ring but that's a nice idea.)

The badge is also not allowed if it is metal containing unless it stays outside the restricted approach distance. This is pretty easy to do practically but if the lanyard breaks and falls into buswork, it could potentially be a hazard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:06 am 

The ring is ceramic and carbon-fiber. I tested it with the Meggar at 1000V and got no return. I also understand the extra wear factor, but in our facility, I only need to glove-up a couple of time a week and our gloves are tested every 6 months. I haven't seen any issues yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:53 am 
Sparks Level

[font=Tahoma]2012 NFPA-70E Article 130.6(D) covers conductive articles being worn and states that they, “shall not be worn where they present an electrical contact hazard…”[/font]

I don’t believe that rings, watches or bracelets are a good idea in any manufacturing, construction or other similar environment even when there are no electrical hazards. I've heard too many bad stories, witnessed a few incidents, and value my hands too much to risk it.