It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:58 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Hoods on Jackets
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:42 am 

What is the hood on AF, 8 cal, jackets for? I don't think this can be used instead of a balaclava or am I wrong?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:44 am 

A few points to the use of a "hoodie" style on the jacket, and I agree with your concern.
1. We have had manufactures use this style as a selling point to eliminate the use of the balaclava.
2. NFPA 70 E 130.7( C ) (10) (b) states:

An arc-rated balaclava shall be used with an arc-rated faceshield when the back of the head is within the arc flash boundary. An arc-rated hood shall be permitted to be used instead of an arc-rated faceshield and balaclava.

It is my perspective that the “hoodie” style does not afford the similar protection and does not meet the intent of the NFPA 70E as written.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:00 am 
Sparks Level

VinnyAces wrote:
It is my perspective that the “hoodie” style does not afford the similar protection and does not meet the intent of the NFPA 70E as written.

IIRC, arc flash hood is defined (in NFPA70E) as a beekeeper-type hood. Now, if you know beekeepers who use hoodies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:53 am 
Plasma Level

VinnyAces wrote:
1. We have had manufactures use this style as a selling point to eliminate the use of the balaclava.

Balaclava was added due to two concerns:
1. With just a face shield the hot gases can go "around the corner" behind the face shield.
2. You are not always going to be facing the direction of the arcing fault and may get hit at the back of the head.

That being said, I can easily see where a "parka" style hood with a button up mouth/nose protection would be identical to a balaclava.

Although 70E gives specific clothing recommendations associated with the tables, if you are using calculated incident energy values, then as explained in the annex, the PPE table goes away too. Using the table as a recommendation based on an engineering study of arc flash hazards is "backwards" and not what the table is intended for. In this case you go by the manufacturer recommendation and if they recommend a clothing system including face shield, jacket, hood, etc. that is specified for a specific cal/cm^2 rating then 70E allows this. We are seeing this now with a couple manufacturers that are manufacturing clothing with significantly lower weight cloth (oz/yard) that meets the required incident energy ratings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:09 am 
Sparks Level

Some of the flash jackets have a hood which covers the area a balaclava is designed to cover and would meet the requirement for NFPA 70E. Most "hoodies" do not cover the chin and would not. Would it be pretty good? Yes. But not the entire area in the description from NFPA 70E.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:16 am 

Anyone using a hood attached to a garment in substitution for a balaclava has a very loose interpretation the sock hood definition. A balaclava (sock hood) is [font=StoneSans]an ar[/font][font=StoneSans]c-[/font][font=StoneSans]ra[/font][font=StoneSans]ted hood th[/font][font=StoneSans]a[/font][font=StoneSans]t p[/font][font=StoneSans]r[/font][font=StoneSans]otects the[/font][font=StoneSans]n[/font][font=StoneSans]eck[/font][font=StoneSans]an[/font][font=StoneSans]d he[/font][font=StoneSans]a[/font][font=StoneSans]d, except fo[/font][font=StoneSans]r[/font][font=StoneSans]the[/font][font=StoneSans]ar[/font][font=StoneSans]e[/font][font=StoneSans]a[/font][font=StoneSans]of the[/font][font=StoneSans]eyes[/font][font=StoneSans]an[/font][font=StoneSans]d[/font][font=StoneSans]n[/font][font=StoneSans]ose. ASTM F2178 includes sweat shirt hoods and jacket hoods however if you intend on using them with a faceshield as part of your Eye or Face Protective System they shall be tested together "as sold".[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:20 am 
Sparks Level

I think it depends on the area it covers, not what you call it. A hoodie might not meet this requirement. Some I have seen have a velcro flap to cover the chin and neck well.

I think MOST of the side of the head and some of the neck would be covered well with a hoodie and a faceshield with chincup. New things are coming out of the EU that make hoods much more comfortable with much less fabric. CATU has a new shield that folds up into the hardhat and has fabric on chin and on side. Salisbury new 40 cal hood design opens to allow seeing and breathing and from what I have seen doesn't fog at all. Pretty amazing stuff coming online. Great time to be in the industry. Love testing the new designs.