It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:28 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: PPE and Heat Exhaustion
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:02 am 

Great forum! Glad I found it.

Most of us have heard people talk about 40 cal PPE / moon suite and the potential for heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Has anyone ever actually had serious issues with this? I am assuming most everyone uses good practices i.e. frequent breaks, lots of water etc. etc. Just curious.
Thanks!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:42 am 
Sparks Level

To help combat heat problems associated with a 40 cal suit, we use a ventilation kit under the hood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:41 am 
Sparks Level

I know of only three incidents. Most are with breathing. We recommend people us a fan or a ventilation kit under the hood. It makes things cooler and safer with a better air flow. The injuries I know of were when someone passed out. One had Emphysema and another was a heavy smoker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:15 am 

CHorvath wrote:
Great forum! Glad I found it.

Most of us have heard people talk about 40 cal PPE / moon suite and the potential for heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Has anyone ever actually had serious issues with this? I am assuming most everyone uses good practices i.e. frequent breaks, lots of water etc. etc. Just curious.
Thanks!

I have typically been able to keep the 40cal suit scenario down to a minimum by only needing it to check for voltage on a full deenergization

In the one case that the work where the suit was required for the work to be completed in an 8hr shift in the summer we had 2 suits and had the electricians take turns. This meant that they weren't in the suit for more than 30min at a time in the summer heat.

Working in those suits is difficult, and if at all possibly go for a full deenergization.