It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: 40 cal suit
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:40 pm 

Great forum, I am new to 70e requirements and currently looking for a 40 cal flash suit. I have heard that Carhartt has a suit with a built in fan and a clear lens. Has anyone used it and if so where can I find it?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:07 am 

Carhartt has HRC 1-4 clothing available but I don't see a beehive hood with clear lens and fan:

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10101&categoryId=15079

You can find arc flash gear through Graingers and most major electrical supply houses. There are also several retailers that operate on line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:23 am 

Salisbury offers a 40 Cal Kit (Coat and Bib Overalls) in their "Premium Light Weight" material with an Air Cooling System with a hood and green lens. Not sure if you can get in with a clear lens. Their part number is SK40PLT-C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:40 am 

A little research before your purchase will pay big dividends to the person using your new class 4 gear. The leaders in the industry are Salisbury, Oberon, National Safety Apparel and others with several import and domestic clones appearing in the market. If your point of use is within distribution substations or areas where your work focus is at or above your waist, then you can elect to use leggings with the 3/4 length coat. This option allows for the coolest and greatest freedom of movement. If your application is around metalclad switchgear or confining areas where an arc flash is most likely to occur at or below the waist, then you should look at the bib overalls with a 30" coat. The most confining and hottest garment is the one-piece overall.
The new fabrics like the ArcGuard Revolite are 1/2 the weight of cotton or Nomex/modacrylic based garments and the pricing pressure has actually allowed kit prices to remain the same or drop slightly.
The most exciting evolution in the HRC4 market has been the introduction of the lift-front faceshield from Salisbury which helps greatly in minimizing moisture buildup, improves ventilation and improves access to and egress from the work areas with the gear on. This new hood option runs less than $500.00 compared to over $1000.00 for many of the bee-keeper style hoods with ventilation. Sorry, I'm not aware of a clear faceshield material rated HRC4.....yet, but every year the yellow/green tint on AR faceshields gets lighter. Higher illumination in your work area will help with visibility issues. Lastly, I suggest you buy locally and size the garments to fit your workforce, not one-size-fits-all because one size fits a few and gets no respect from any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:41 pm 

Hi Jamie,

You may want to contact Jim Pollard of Oberon- 519 939 3204, Jim is based up here in Canada in the Hamilton ON area. Oberon likely has the best and most comfortable 40 cal + arc flash suits

Hope that this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 am 
Sparks Level

"
sparksmore wrote:
Lastly, I suggest you buy locally and size the garments to fit your workforce, not one-size-fits-all because one size fits a few and gets no respect from any.

Truer words were never written.