It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Required PPE
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:32 pm 

Hello, I am looking for some advice with regards to PPE.

I am a ski lift electrician,
90% of my work is 24V DC controls.
I also work on AC and DC Drives and motors up to 1000HP. the motor work is 99% de-energised testing and cleaning several times a year.
I also work on the 120/220/480 parts of the lifts, including heaters, lights, outlets, main disconnects etc. sometimes these are hot.

I would like some help in determining what i should be wearing on a daily basis and what extra clothing/protection i need for the other parts of my job.

Thanks in advance for yor help.

Keith

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:46 pm 
Arc Level

If you haven't done an analysis then you should use the NFPA task ppe matrix. Being in the ski industry you could wear some heavier clothes and still be comfortable, like Level 2 shirt and pants. You can also find AF coats and winter gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:19 pm 
Arc Level

Remember that there are current and clearing time limitations on the tables, so you have to have some fault current information available from the utility. Then some determination could be made on the applicability of the tables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:48 am 

Update....there was a survey conducted at our site and although i do not have a copy of the results, they are in the mail, the highest risk we have is 17cal/cm2.

1. Is class 2 clothing enough protection?

2, I have found a number of sites selling FR clothing but no one sells nomex snow pants? any ideas?

3, I have heard that you can wear "oversized shirts" that will cover your existing clothing, fleece/nylon vest etc, that will provide the correct protection....any thoughts?

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:12 am 
Plasma Level

English wrote:
Update....there was a survey conducted at our site and although i do not have a copy of the results, they are in the mail, the highest risk we have is 17cal/cm2.

1. Is class 2 clothing enough protection?

No, HRC clothing is only good for up to 8Cal/CM2, you will need some HRC 3 PPE.

English wrote:
2, I have found a number of sites selling FR clothing but no one sells nomex snow pants? any ideas?

Is there a reason you want nomex? There are plenty of companies that have arc rated snow gear, but not sure about nomex, it would be more expensive anyways. Carhartt has a good line of arc rated cold weather gear, you could start there.

English wrote:
3, I have heard that you can wear "oversized shirts" that will cover your existing clothing, fleece/nylon vest etc, that will provide the correct protection....any thoughts?

Again, please dont go by what you "heard", you need to get some good 70E training, you need to be trained and qualified to use the PPE, just owning PPE dosent cut it and the advice you are getting from someone is dangerous.

To answer your question, NO You can wear your FR clothing over non melting fabrics but not nylon or other systhetic materials either alone or in blends unless it is proven to be arc rated..

Please get some training before it is too late and you get hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:34 am 

Thanks for the prompt reply, training is on the way, i am just trying to get a feel for approximate levels of equipment so i can get a rough cost...

..i know, why get a rough cost when you can get the correct answers with training, right.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:00 pm 
Plasma Level

English wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply, training is on the way, i am just trying to get a feel for approximate levels of equipment so i can get a rough cost...

..i know, why get a rough cost when you can get the correct answers with training, right.

Thanks

No, I think getting some estimates is a great idea before the training. But there are many other things to do before the training, training is one of the last things to do. You should have your policies ready, EEWP's in effect, etc....

But if you are using nomex for your estimates your estimates will be high. One of the most expensive FR materials there is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:43 pm 
Sparks Level

I know of a supplier who has winter jackets and bid coveralls pants that are in the 60 cal/cm2 range.

The supplier is Hammel in ON, Canada. I came across these in a recent Electrical Safety Audit.

All you would need for a complete ensemble would be an Arc Flash Hood with at least an ATPV of 60 cal/cm2.

Yes this is a lot of protection, but is a welcome side effect of making the clothing warm for winter wear by layering fabrics.

You may find that some of the fabricators in Canada may have more options for arc rated FR winter clothing than in the USA.

Regards;
Terry Becker, P.Eng.
http://www.esps.ca