It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:15 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Flame retardant clothing per 1910.269
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:16 pm 

Has this issue been updated yet? I have checked the OHSA site and did some searching on the net but haven't found anything which leads me to believe this issue has been settled. What I would like to find out is if my employer can decide to start requiring us to use Fr clothing and make us buy it. I'm not just talking pants and shirts but insulated coveralls in the winter which run around 250.00 us dollars. we are being told we have to do this per OSHA. I just don't see it anywhere on the OSHA site that backs this up. Thanks in advance.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:39 pm 
Plasma Level

Otis4411 wrote:
Has this issue been updated yet? I have checked the OHSA site and did some searching on the net but haven't found anything which leads me to believe this issue has been settled. What I would like to find out is if my employer can decide to start requiring us to use Fr clothing and make us buy it. I'm not just talking pants and shirts but insulated coveralls in the winter which run around 250.00 us dollars. we are being told we have to do this per OSHA. I just don't see it anywhere on the OSHA site that backs this up. Thanks in advance.

Good news and bad news for you. Bas news first, yes you have to wear FR clothing if working on or near energized electrical equipment that could pose an arc flash hazard. Good news, a recent (Effective May 2008) OSHA ruling requires the employer to provide the PPE necessary for you to do your job. So go give that to your boss :)

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=FEDERAL_REGISTER&p_id=20094

Your employer is also required by OSHA to provide you with the proper training for you to be considered "qualified" as defined by the NFPA 70E. Is your boss saying you need to wear FR clothing all the time? What typ eof work do you do that requires you to be exposed to arc flash hazards all the time? What type of company do you work for? I think your boss needs some training too. Keep in mind that there are only certian times you can justify energized electrical work.

Welcome to the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:44 pm 

They are saying 2 things. For overhead they have to wear it all day. FR pants and shirts. They will provide a coat also but nothing else. They will not let you put on anything for warmth over that unless it is also Fr approved. The cost of insulated coveralls we were told we could buy were nearly 250.00. On underground they are not providing any pants or shirts but a Fr jumpsuit to wear when working on or near energized equipment. Underground can wear the same clothes they have always worn just as long as they use the jumpsuit. Seems like a huge double standard . Thanks for the link to the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:54 am 
Plasma Level

Otis4411 wrote:
They are saying 2 things. For overhead they have to wear it all day. FR pants and shirts. They will provide a coat also but nothing else. They will not let you put on anything for warmth over that unless it is also Fr approved. The cost of insulated coveralls we were told we could buy were nearly 250.00. On underground they are not providing any pants or shirts but a Fr jumpsuit to wear when working on or near energized equipment. Underground can wear the same clothes they have always worn just as long as they use the jumpsuit. Seems like a huge double standard . Thanks for the link to the info.

So you are working for utility? Some big changes coming to the NESC that I am sure will clarify this. I assume the FR clohting basics from 70E will carry over. The way I understand that OSHA ruling is that if your job requires it (You have to work outside in the cold and the company requires the FR jackets, as they should) they are the ones that have to pay for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:17 pm 

They have supplied the shirt and pants and a jacket. The issue we have is that we are told we can't wear anything over it. That means insulated coveralls in the winter. We were given a list of items we could buy with prices on it. The insulated coveralls are 250.00. We can't wear our own because they are not FR rated. It just don't seem right and the link you provided confirms it. Today they informed us that we willingly came to work for a high risk job and should accept it and not complain. My company is a general contractor for the local utilities. A lot of the guy's were going ahead and signing up for payroll deductions because like today it was 20 deg this morning and tough to work ouside in just a jacket. I refuse to do it, I'll quit first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:19 am 
Plasma Level

Otis4411 wrote:
Today they informed us that we willingly came to work for a high risk job and should accept it and not complain.

They have to buy it and dont want to admit it, that response is bull. If your job requires you to work in adverse conditions that require things like rainwear or cold weather gear and it needs to be FR. they must provide it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:35 pm 

Zog I figured I would update you on my companies response since you had given me some info here. An opportunity was given to talk about the new Fr rules they have implemented. I brought the info I had about FR clothing and they argue about the clause where if an employee don't like PPE provided they can use their own providing it meets the FR rating they require. In other words the jacket they give us we must wear unless we don't like freezing in 10 degree weather then we can purchase our own FR insulated suit. The discussion got heated to say the least. I'm left wondering should I go ahead and seek a lawyer or wait until winter and settle this when the day comes. It's a shame it has to come to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:07 pm 
Plasma Level

Otis4411 wrote:
Zog I figured I would update you on my companies response since you had given me some info here. An opportunity was given to talk about the new Fr rules they have implemented. I brought the info I had about FR clothing and they argue about the clause where if an employee don't like PPE provided they can use their own providing it meets the FR rating they require. In other words the jacket they give us we must wear unless we don't like freezing in 10 degree weather then we can purchase our own FR insulated suit. The discussion got heated to say the least. I'm left wondering should I go ahead and seek a lawyer or wait until winter and settle this when the day comes. It's a shame it has to come to this.

Technically they are right. Sorry to say but they have some smart EH&S guys. It is dirty business selling you the real stuff. I would shop around if you really need a warm coat, or move south. Besides, you can buy a lot of PPE for the price of a lawyer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:36 am 

Well, It seems to me I need to attempt to provide some other PPE and see if they allow it. I personally don't think they will. Then later on I may be able to use that against them. I'm feeling now it's time to look a better job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:11 pm 
Plasma Level

Otis4411 wrote:
Well, It seems to me I need to attempt to provide some other PPE and see if they allow it. I personally don't think they will. Then later on I may be able to use that against them. I'm feeling now it's time to look a better job.

In case you havent heard, there are not many jobs to be had out there, let alone really good ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:28 pm 

Zog wrote:
In case you havent heard, there are not many jobs to be had out there, let alone really good ones.

I don't have any real benefit's anymore. Our insurance was so lousy I switched to my wife's. She is a school teacher. I could bag groceries and make real close to what I'm making now. I'm also a foreman. I have a couple of options available to me. I love my job, but it will not be the first job I have ever left that I enjoyed what I did. I give 100% to what I do. Is it not only fair to expect the same back?? Most of the people I work for don't even know me. Just a number, 666

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:31 am 

All i can suggest you is flameresistantcoveralls.com which is a must visit if you work in fire or such hazardous areas. The fabric they use is excellently comfortable ant extremely protective. They provide you fr overalls at very cheap prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:34 am 
Plasma Level

flameresistant wrote:
All i can suggest you is flameresistantcoveralls.com which is a must visit if you work in fire or such hazardous areas. The fabric they use is excellently comfortable ant extremely protective. They provide you fr overalls at very cheap prices.

Why are you diggin up a 3 year old thread to try and sell your stuff?? This is an arc flash forum and I don't see anything on that site arc rated, just FR stuff which does nto meet the requirements anyone here requires.